• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits for free on PreLoved...is this rescuing?

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
So many being given away for free at the moment near me. :(
I shouldn't look. But one caught my eye because she is at our local children's farm and my children love her. They treat them very well, they have big enclosures and our local vet told me their rabbits are treated well, but she and the male rabbit she's being given away with are 4 yrs old and have probably been used for breeding a few times. What problems are associated with this? And how do people feel about this, particularly for a 4 yr old pair who likely wouldn't get any interest (which is why they are not charging I guess).

I think getting any rabbit from a free ad is rescuing. A lot of mine have come from them. I am getting them before they end up in rescue or worse another **** home. Don't see the problem with this.

With these two rabbits I'd be worried someone would want them free to then make money from breeding them. :(

Whether or not they're in a rescue centre they're still bunnies that need a home :wave:

Does it say why they're being given away? If they're not charging for them, anyone who gets them won't be supporting their practices.

I suppose any problems might be that they may not be spayed/neutered (a 4 yr old doe that hasn't been spayed could be an issue) or vaccinated.

I think they're probably being given away free because they are older - they are also advertising a younger buck (who my children also love :() and charging £15 for him. I'm sure they won't have been spayed or neutered, but I know at least they do have regular health checks and I think they will be vaccinated.
Also it has just occurred to me that although they're advertising them as a pair, they aren't going to be a bonded pair are they, as he was a breeding buck. It's sounding more and more complicated. :(

Last edited:
Actually, they could possibly be neutered, since the wording says they have been bred from in the past, whereas the wording for the younger buck says he is not neutered and has been bred from in the past.
I think I have to call in the morning. I can't see one of my daughter's favourites end up as possible snake food.:(
We do have the chicken coop empty outside although we'd need to figure something else out quickly. They live in a big barn at the moment but it's very open and not remotely heated so I think they'd count as outdoor buns.

I have mixed feelings on this, the farm clearly breed and sell off the baby rabbits. Therefore, they are no different to breeders selling off their surplus stock. So technically no this is not rescuing it is supporting breeders. Doesn't make the rabbits any less deserving of a good home though I guess. :?

No answer, but thanks - this made me think to check preloved today and there is a local bun being offered free. I've messaged the owner and they've responded positively :thumb:

ETA: just checked and the ad' has been updated to £20! :D

Yes I have warned them they may go for snake food, so hopefully something will change.
I've never seen them advertise babies to sell there but they must have some kind of turnover.

Back