• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit and cat

Teja

New Kit
Hello :)

I have a female rabbit, she is 1,5 years old and a male cat - he is 11 weeks old :D And I have no idea how to bond them. When he walks into room, they just watch each other and then he wants to play and goes slowly to my rabbit and she runs away and thumps. She is just so scared of him :cry: I don't want to cause her a heart attack :( so I would be grateful for any advice how to bond them successfully

:wave:

I dnt think you can ever bond a cat and rabbit, you could never leave them alone as cats are natural hunters, I had ralph at 8 weeks old he's now four months and my cat tolerates him, they do play but she can get a bit rough, so I have to separate them give them time and they will get along just please dnt leave them alone together

I have eight bunnies and five cats and they all get along just fine - in fact one of my cats thinks she is a rabbit:)

I think there is more of a risk with a kitten though as they are so lively and playful and could cause an injury without meaning to. Having said that, Pippa (the cat who thinks she is a rabbit) was a kitten when she turned up as a stray and the buns just ran and hid if she was too lively for them.

As your kitten is so young, I would keep a careful eye on the interactions between cat and bunny to make sure all is well.

By bonding, do you just mean getting used to each other? A rabbit should only be bonded to a rabbit.

If your rabbit is scared of her, I would just keep the cat separate. I own a dog and Fiver (my bunny) used to be terrified of her...so they were always kept separate. It took him years to realise she wouldn't hurt ho,. but they are still wary of each other and never see each other without me there.

I would never leave a predator animal unsupervised with a prey animal. Cats are more than capable of killing a rabbit so please be very careful.

Had our rabbit since mid august and last night we found them like this.....

2e5yha5e.jpg

humu4u6y.jpg

Give them time they might get used to each other, but I would still never leave them alone :)

Back