• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Huge weight loss since neutering!?!?!

Anna_bee

New Kit
Ok so I got my rescue bunny George neutered over 2 months ago.

Recently I took him to the vet because he had a strange fit type thing whilst I was stroking him ( it only lasted a few seconds)

Whilst at the vets they said they thought it could be an ear infection as he had some grungy stuff right inside his ears- He was prescribed anti biotic's and has been on them for a few days now.

Anyway....

The vet also noticed that George was quite underweight ( He used to weigh 2kg , now weighs 1.45kg) A quarter of his body weight has gone!

This made no sense to me, as George is the greediest bunny ever! ALWAYS eating! His poo's are fine, weeing fine, drinking water etc etc

But he is always desperate for food... acts as if I have never fed him..

But he is very bony, I have to go back to vets on Friday but wondered if anyone experienced this or had an suggestions of what they thought it could be?

Thankyou :(

how is your bunny now, you could try adding more food to build him up, has the vet done blood tests to see if there is an underlyng problem to weight loss, and checked molar teeth?

I don't know if rabbits can suffer from over active/under active thyroid problem, but that sounds exactly like my cat Harry. He has over active thyroid and he eats all the time yet he's so skinny!

I know they are obviously two very different species, someone more experienced could probably give better advice. :thumb:

Back