• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone tried 'just grass'?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
My local supplier can't get hold of graze on or readigrass, and are selling sacks of just grass for £10.50.

Has anyone tried it, and what is your opinion of it? N&T love readigrass but I find it so hard to get it out of the big sack, and also it's quite dusty.

I'm pretty sure it'd be okay for them to eat, but just wondering who else uses it? It'd be good to know if your bunnies like it. http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/our-feeds/chaffsforage/chaffsforage/just-grass.html

I have and my fussy buns wouldn't touch it :roll:. Both 'Just Grass' and 'Graze-On' are a much shorter and crisper chop than Readigrass, which is more hay-like IMO. I have to stick with Readigrass.

I have and my fussy buns wouldn't touch it :roll:. Both 'Just Grass' and 'Graze-On' are a much shorter and crisper chop than Readigrass, which is more hay-like IMO. I have to stick with Readigrass.

Oh bumholes! Are your buns fussy with everything, or just with the types of grass/hay they'll eat?

Readigrass is such a pain to get out of the bag... I was soo hoping I could go with graze on or just grass which might be slightly easier...

Oh bumholes! Are your buns fussy with everything, or just with the types of grass/hay they'll eat?

Readigrass is such a pain to get out of the bag... I was soo hoping I could go with graze on or just grass which might be slightly easier...

No, they're not particularly fussy - they just have baled farm hay with occasional 'treat' hays from Dust Free Hay or Willow Warren. I found Graze-on to be a bit like christmas tree needles (when they've shed all over the living room floor after Christmas) - very sharp, dry and spikey. Just Grass was similar. But then again, they are all natural products so maybe it was just the batch I had? Readigrass can be either deep, dark green and very long strands or much lighter green and slightly shorter strands. Either way, it's dusty (which you don't get with the other two products), but I just shake the dust out.

I do find it very hard to get the Readigrass out of the big bales but I keep a small handheld gardening fork in the bale and use it to prize the stuff out! Works a treat :D.

My lot love dried grass. Readigrass is supposed to be for rabbits as it is lower in calcium than the horse stuff. Just something to remember - it's ok as a treat but not as a big part of their diet.

I used to get this when I couldn't buy Readigrass but it was mostly uneaten, even by greedy buns. The g pigs liked it though.

My lot love dried grass. Readigrass is supposed to be for rabbits as it is lower in calcium than the horse stuff. Just something to remember - it's ok as a treat but not as a big part of their diet.

There are a LOT of conflicting views about Readigrass and other dried grass products. IMO, it is just dried grass and therefore exactly what a wild bunny would be eating on a daily basis. My buns have it daily since their diet is virtually 100% hay, veggies and fresh or dried grass. They have a tiny amount of pellets as a treat more than anything. In all my years of rabbit-keeping, I've not found it to cause a problem but I do appreciate there are alternative views.

ETA - Readigrass IS a horse product too. They just sell it in small bags for small pets. I buy it by the bale from my local horse feed merchant.

Argh I'm still having a lot of trouble with deciding about this!

I wonder if there's anyone who could send me a little bit of just grass or graze on in a jiffy bag? I'm happy to cover the jiffy bag and postage ofc!

Back