• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Cage

pipsdwarf

New Kit
Hi All

Appreciate some thoughts on indoor housing, Quick background -our bunny lives in a hutch in the garden/shed, in a standard 2 level 4 x 2 x 2 hutch. We used to have two bunnies, (one on the top bit, one on the bottom bit), they loved each other but she used to try and dominate him too much so we kept them separate. Unfortunatley the male died a few weeks back, and having lost a previous bunny we have decided we shouldn't get another one.

Rather than keep her on her own in the shed during the winter, we are thinking of bringing her indoors. into a 140cm or 150cm cage. She is a happy bunny, and runs free in the garden each day (with us watching her) for at least an hour each day (and 3-4 hours plus at the weekend).

My question is, what is the best cage(she is a 3 year old dwarf lop), and would it be better for her to be indoors with us, or stay in the enviroment she knows.

Thanks for any thoughts

When mine were indoors I had a litter tray for them (under bed storage box 32litres) and a puppy panel run (two puppy panels joined together, so 16 panels) to protect the skirting boards and walls. That way they had room to run about. They also had an indoor cage (always open) which was partly covered so that they could hide away if they wanted to. They tended to sit on the shelf and sunbathe.

I definately would have her indoors if she is to be single. Dont forget lots of rescues have older neutered male rabbits and may be able to help with bonding if you did decide to have another one.

Back