• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Substrates

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Atm I use just hay for my bunnies bedding. The get hay in all their boxes, hutches, houses and racks. As you can imagine the pee and poo and burrow in the hay as well as eat it. They make nests too and we go through a lot of hay as well. I've seen some posts about substrates such as megazorb and aubiose.

Can anyone who uses these substrates tell me what the advantages to using it are? I gather that it reduces the amount of hay given but what about rabbit pee, does it soak up and hold the pee like vermiculite or does the pee sink to the bottom of the litter tray? And can anyone give a rough idea of how far a 20Kg bag would go between 6 to 7 rabbits?

I use fitch for the guinea pig and hamster. I often use it for Mottle and Peaches as they wee a lot. I dont use it for the other four as their trays just dont get as wee filled. If I were you I would order a big bag and try it. It is very absorbent and lovely and soft.

Back