• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit questions?

Ilovepets

New Kit
I might be getting a pair of rabbits in march for my birthday and I have a few questions

1.What makes a hutch and run fox prof?
2.What do you do with rabbits when you go on holiday?
3.Do rabbits need to go to the vet other than for spaying/neutering?
4. Will fake grass effect rabbits if they are on it?
5. What is the minumin size hutch a pair of rabbits should have (in cm please)

all awnsers appreciated :thumb:

Last edited:
welcome to the forum x

1. good locks make a hutch fox proof

2. my grandad looks after my 2 buns

3. they will need to go to the vets for checks up and vaccination every 6 months or every year

4. i am not sure

5. the minimum size for a pair is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and a 8ft x 4ft run sorry i dont know what it is cm but sheds are better as they are easy to clean and provide more space

if you need anymore answers just pm me i will be happy to answer them

1. To make a run fox proof (and escape proof) you will need to have it on paving slabs, have a wire mesh skirt or have mesh on the bottom of the run (cut grass v short, put mesh down and let the grass go over it). There are lots of ideas on the housing forum. IDK about making a hutch fox proof I'm sure someone on here will know how to though

2. My in laws or parents look after them normally or there are bunny boarding facilities as well

3. Yes rabbits should be vaccinated yearly plus may need to go to the vets for other problems. Rabbits can cost a lot in vet bills, some of the most common illnesses they can be struck down with include gut stasis, dental disease, snuffles, etc, if you stay on this forum you will get an idea of what people take their rabbits to the vets with

4. I'm not sure what fake grass is (?) so I can't comment on this one

5. Buy the largest accommodation you can afford. You may find it cheaper to buy a shed/wendy house with a large attached run. Please see this link: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Please consider getting a bonded pair of bunnies from a rescue instead of a pet shop. Rescues do have accommodation requirements you must comply to before taking bunnies home but it may actually work out cheaper for you as they are normally spayed/neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and already bonded.

5. the minimum size for a pair is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and a 8ft x 4ft run sorry i dont know what it is cm but sheds are better as they are easy to clean and provide more space

In centimeteres, it is 180cm x 60 x 60 (hutch) and 240cm x 120cm (run). Please be aware though tht this is the minimum, so your buns will be happier with a bigger accomadation, which gives them areas to hide, sleep, run around, play with toys, stretch in all directions, and space for your litter trays and hay holders. (basically behaivour that they would be able to do in the wild)

However, I would very much reccomend getting a shed as a hutch(with a 240cm x 120 cm run attached), as they are much bigger, look nicer, much easier to clean, warmer and waterproof, also you can sit in there with them and not get a wet bum;)

Please consider getting a bonded pair of bunnies from a rescue instead of a pet shop. Rescues do have accommodation requirements you must comply to before taking bunnies home but it may actually work out cheaper for you as they are normally spayed/neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and already bonded.

:thumb: this. If you buy from a breeder or pet shop, they may be more likely to fight , resulting in you having to buy two seperate accomodations for them. Also, neutering/spaying costs around £60 each, and regular vaccinations at £20 each. If you adopt from a rescue centre, they will be vaccinated up to date and already be neutered/spayed. Also you are doing a good thing by adopting from a rescue.
In addition to this, the bunnies will be likely to be already litter trained, friendlier, and you can get dvice from the rescue about what food they et ect.

Good luck:D:wave:

Back