• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One rabbit in a pair just died - help

niconico

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I just joined here because I really need some advice. I've had a lop cross male since January. In August after he'd been castrated and had the 6 week recommended period I got a baby mini rex female as company for him. Although at first he found it hard to adjust to a new rabbit within a week they were inseparable. I work longer hours than I used to when I got him having gone back to full time teaching and him having a friend made me feel much better about this.
Sadly, my baby rabbit died unexpectedly on Friday. She was only 5 months old. As well as being devastated, I'm really concerned about my male bunny. He seems to be ok at the moment but obviously it's the weekend so I can be with him all the time at the moment. I'm totally unsure what to do. If I get another female baby I'm worried about whether he'll bond as well as he did before. But I can't bear him to be lonely.
My boyfriend has suggested I move my hamster who usually lives upstairs so that the cage is next to the rabbit so that he can feel like there's another animal near him but I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any advice? I'm really worried about my rabbit getting lonely.

Are there any rescues near you? Many rescues will take your bunny and bond him with a female for you. The bonus of this is that the female will be already spayed and vaccinated and you wouldn't have the worry of bonding yourself.

Are there any rescues near you? Many rescues will take your bunny and bond him with a female for you. The bonus of this is that the female will be already spayed and vaccinated and you wouldn't have the worry of bonding yourself.

I agree, it's much better for bunnies to have friends.

Do you know why your other bunny died? Were they vaccinated (sorry to ask)? Just thinking of the wellbeing of your bunny.

I agree, it's much better for bunnies to have friends.

Do you know why your other bunny died? Were they vaccinated (sorry to ask)? Just thinking of the wellbeing of your bunny.

The bunny who died had first vaccinations 2 days before so I'm not sure if it was a bad reaction to that? When I found her she couldn't move her back legs and she had a habit of walking across the cage backwards on her back legs so I'm not sure if she fell. My other bunny's vaccinations are all up to date and he's seemed fine health wise since.

Whereabouts do you live? Someone could recommend a rescue, that way you get a spayed adult bun who hopefully is nice and healthy :) they might also bond for you.

So sorry that you lost your baby rex. They are gorgeous arent they?

I am sure your other rabbit will indeed appreciate company. I initially bought two pet shop rabbits. I have since got four more from rescues and to have an already neutered/spayed and bonded rabbit has been bliss compared to neutering, waiting, bonding. It is also way cheaper.

Hope you find a lovely rabbit friend for your bereved boy.

Back