• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Absorbent beddings

Stator

Warren Veteran
I need an alternative to megazorb since it stinks so much and I store the bedding indoors.

Woodchips work reasonably well but I'm allergic
I've tried Aubiose but it's not very absorbent
Carefresh works well but is extremely expensive

I don't think the ones based on shredded paper will work at all, I don't see how it can be very absorbent

Are there any others?

Fitch is amazing... I find it more absorbent than Megazorb and it isn't dusty or weird smelling... very similar to Carefresh really. Lasts forever too :love:

Isn't fitch just shredded paper too?

Yes, but its rather like chopped up toilet paper rather than what you'd get out of a paper shredder if you shredded your bank statement. It's really soft. I only know this because I just You Tubed it :oops::lol:.

I tried fitch but don't like it. For one thing the bunnies dig everything out of their litter tray and play in it.:roll: I dint like the way it absorbs things but that's most likely just me! My buns are outside so I'm sticking to megazorb.

I tried fitch but don't like it. For one thing the bunnies dig everything out of their litter tray and play in it.:roll: I dint like the way it absorbs things but that's most likely just me! My buns are outside so I'm sticking to megazorb.

Would you say it was more absorbent than megazorb? I'm thinking about trying it for the piggies.

Last edited:
Fitch is similar to carefresh, I use it for the hamsters and they love it, really absorbent for them. I also use it for the litter trays for Kerbie and Leo and a thin layer absorbs so much. I used to use megazorb but it set me off coughing for ages.

Is absorbent bedding (I've never used it) like plant vermiculite? Does it hold all the pee or does the pee sink to the bottom?
Also does it reduce how much hay needs to be used? And would a 20KG last long between 7 bunnies?

Megazorb absorbs liquid but I've found that it falls through the hemp products to the bottom (Hemcore or Aubiose), although some liquid is absorbed. If I used Fitch for the piggies, I'd still cover it with a layer of hay.

After a few years of using megazorb I swapped to fitch recently. I am not sure what I think of fitch. It is absorbent but not as good as megazorb, the urine doesn't seep through but I would say it looks wetter than megazorb. I clean the litter tray every day but considering changing twice a day as Mr B likes laying in his litter tray and it looks wet, although Mr B doesn't get wet.

I use hay and newspaper for the other two as they used to kick the megazorb out. so not tried them with fitch but Bandit being such a big bunny I imagine I would be cleaning the tray at least twice a day with the volume of urine he produces.

I have the 20 kilo bag and even though I use quite a bit everyday I imagine it will last a few months.

we used to always use megazorb here but then it started to become really dusty and someone on the piggy forum got an email from them saying that although alot of people use it for small animals, they would not recommend doing that. i used it for bisc and matts trays but i would never use it for piggies. when i tried it with ches and maisie, they were sneezing.

i would say megazorb is slightly more absorbent but fitch is much better for smells. fitch also shows up any wetness more easily aswell. :wave:

We use Bio catolet - it does work really well, and even when very wet, doesn't smell. We change the buns twice a week on it. BUT - it is very expensive especially for 5 buns - we use a bag a week and at £10 per bag, it adds up alot:shock:

Looking to use something else so very useful thread this:thumb:

we used to always use megazorb here but then it started to become really dusty and someone on the piggy forum got an email from them saying that although alot of people use it for small animals, they would not recommend doing that. i used it for bisc and matts trays but i would never use it for piggies. when i tried it with ches and maisie, they were sneezing.

i would say megazorb is slightly more absorbent but fitch is much better for smells. fitch also shows up any wetness more easily aswell. :wave:

See, my suspicious mind thinks that's because the makers of Megazorb want you to buy the smaller bags of stuff for pets, which is much more expensive than buying the big sacks for horse bedding ;). Perhaps it does go through another process to remove dust but since I always cover it in a thick layer of hay anyway, mine are never exposed to the stuff unless they choose to dig it out of litter trays.

Is it for a bedding area or for a litter tray?

If for a litter tray then the PAH wood pellet Cat litter (or any other wood pellet cat litter) is very good.

I have 4 buns and use fitch in the litter trays only. I change them every other day as they are outside. The 20kg bag lasts me approximately 2 months. It soaks up all the wee in the tray and changes colour when wet so you could just scoop a section of it out if needed. I think its about £15 delivered off amazon.

Is it for a bedding area or for a litter tray?

If for a litter tray then the PAH wood pellet Cat litter (or any other wood pellet cat litter) is very good.

:wave: I second that wood pellet cat litter for the is great, very, very absorbent and doesn't smell. :D I always buy the stuff that is marketed for cats not small animals as it's much cheaper :thumb:

I've been using Fitch for the last three weeks now and I'm really pleased with it. I had previously been using wood shavings. I use it in the trays and it's very absorbent and changes colour when it's soiled. I also use it as bedding on both floors of the hutch along with some straw. My two loves rearranging the straw and Fitch and mixing them up on both levels. I just leave them to it. Certainly looks very cosy and warm when they've mixed it together. I bought the 20kg bag and in three weeks, it's only started to look like it's going down slightly. The 20kg package is pretty big though so bear that in mind if you want to try it.

Back