• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have to ask how do you afford more than 2 buns

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
Just that really I have 2 buns would love more .. If my husband would not divorce me ! I went for hamster food , came home with fluffy then bonded with abandoned binky. Before I could put her on insurance she had stasis , now has sludge he hashad tooth problems, and a couple of I'm not eating for any known reasons .. All do that has been £500 plus so seriously . I have two small peeps md the usual bills how do you do it ? Xxx

I only have two as well and I wonder this too. As well as expense it's time, I work full time and Ash takes up a lot of my free time with her special needs, I just genuinely wouldn't have time for more than two bunnies, a hamster and a husband!

I don't work because of mental health issues so have lots of time.. apart from that I live with family, use savings from when I was working and have 2 credit cards for "just in case" bills :lol:

I don't have children - they annoy me :lol: and I don't go out really. I rarely buy stuff for myself, most of my money goes on making sure my buns are happy and healthy :love:

They just cost a little bit more and take a bit more time but it's the money and time I spent when I had one, now there are 6 there isn't a massive difference tbh. Just an extra hour of the day to spend some time with them (the ones that want me anyway!) Obviously the vets is an expense in itself but regular check ups (and dental checks for the dental rabbits) make sure any problems are caught quickly and the vaccinations being once a year is easier too.

I don't have children - they annoy me :lol: and I don't go out really. I rarely buy stuff for myself, most of my money goes on making sure my buns are happy and healthy :love:

I have one "child" who is now 18 who frequently annoys me. (but he love the buns so I forgive him) I have just come back to bunnies but would worry about having more than 2 in case of serious health problems. I have an emergency fund and would love a big group of bunnies but OH says 2 is enough and at the risk of sounding under the thumbe while he loves the 2 we have and is always wanting to make their set up better I shouldnt compain = oh yeah its the outside setup he wants to improve I want them indoors:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have three /soon to be four rabbits (plus hamsters and fish) But OH and I are lucky we both work in the oil and gas industry

Last edited:
I have no idea and I have 3! I'm currently stressing about money as well as although all mine are insured, one of mine is having tooth root problems and is if insurance don't pay out we'll have to pay over £600 for him :( Money we don't have! As harsh as this sounds, it'll be a lot easier when I have less bunnies. If his problems continue and insurance don't pay out, we may not be able to afford him anymore :(

I only have two, and I really couldn't afford any more. I also have a dog, a hamster and fish. It is only the rabbits and dog that cost me a considerable amount of money.

I have been out of work for nearly 2 months now and it's the unemployed parts when money is tight. I don't turn to the PDSA, and I don't sign on, I live off my savings from my last job.

If there are vets bills I go without in order to pay it, I rarely go out with friends. If I am really stuck and cannot afford a whole bill, then I ask my vets for a payment plan, pay a deposit, and go pet sitting or work on family farms until it is paid off. (Obviously I have not got to that point yet, but this from early stints of unemployment as I have only ever been in temporary employment)

We have 22 buns, one died a week ago. We had 10 of our own then rescued 7 from a 'rescue', one died but another had 7 babies. Two of ours have died this year (one after an operation, one suddenly from a clot in the aorta) and we have taken another in a month ago.

I work full time. I love all the buns and worry about vets bills in particular. 4 of our own buns are insured, the rest are not. This year alone apart from our own buns vaccinations we have also vaccinated all 14 rescues and had them all spayed / neutered. To do this I sold books on Amazon and novels in work for £1 each, my husband gave me the money he had for selling scrap gold he had collected for years (broken earrings, chains etc) and I made up Easter gifts of door stops and easter eggs / chocolate and sold in work.

To pay for my own buns, I make sure I don't spend money on myself unless absolutely necessary, having two teenage children and a husband who doesn't work due to ill health, I feel guilty for spending family income. I don't go out, don't smoke, will only have the occasional drink (can of lager) and have no other hobbies - now this may make me sound like a sad sack but I'm not, I'm outgoing, love spending time at home with my animals, enjoy the company of all sorts of people and I am quite active with animal charities / rescues etc.

Soon I will start making little Christmas decorations as I have done for the last few years. I sell them for £1 each and then usually split the money between 4 rescues, in the past this has included Windwhistle Warren and Pledge a Pound. This year I plan to send three quarters of the money to various charities and keep the other quarter to pay towards the rescue buns vaccinations as they are all due end of December / start of January for the adults and March I believe for the 7 babies.

Time is also another factor especially as I work 9 til 9 two days a week (9 til 5 the other 2) so it is common for me to be washing out litters trays, mopping out indoor runs at 1 o'clock in the morning!! It doesn't matter though, all ours are house rabbits so I don't need to be out in the dark. Through the day they have my husband and when the children are home from college them too to pamper them!

Life is what you make it sometimes. We all tend to 'cut our cloth' as we need to.

It doesn't matter if you have two or like us 22, we can love them all and only work at doing our best for them. :wave:

We have 22 buns, one died a week ago. We had 10 of our own then rescued 7 from a 'rescue', one died but another had 7 babies. Two of ours have died this year (one after an operation, one suddenly from a clot in the aorta) and we have taken another in a month ago.

I work full time. I love all the buns and worry about vets bills in particular. 4 of our own buns are insured, the rest are not. This year alone apart from our own buns vaccinations we have also vaccinated all 14 rescues and had them all spayed / neutered. To do this I sold books on Amazon and novels in work for £1 each, my husband gave me the money he had for selling scrap gold he had collected for years (broken earrings, chains etc) and I made up Easter gifts of door stops and easter eggs / chocolate and sold in work.

To pay for my own buns, I make sure I don't spend money on myself unless absolutely necessary, having two teenage children and a husband who doesn't work due to ill health, I feel guilty for spending family income. I don't go out, don't smoke, will only have the occasional drink (can of lager) and have no other hobbies - now this may make me sound like a sad sack but I'm not, I'm outgoing, love spending time at home with my animals, enjoy the company of all sorts of people and I am quite active with animal charities / rescues etc.

Soon I will start making little Christmas decorations as I have done for the last few years. I sell them for £1 each and then usually split the money between 4 rescues, in the past this has included Windwhistle Warren and Pledge a Pound. This year I plan to send three quarters of the money to various charities and keep the other quarter to pay towards the rescue buns vaccinations as they are all due end of December / start of January for the adults and March I believe for the 7 babies.

Time is also another factor especially as I work 9 til 9 two days a week (9 til 5 the other 2) so it is common for me to be washing out litters trays, mopping out indoor runs at 1 o'clock in the morning!! It doesn't matter though, all ours are house rabbits so I don't need to be out in the dark. Through the day they have my husband and when the children are home from college them too to pamper them!

Life is what you make it sometimes. We all tend to 'cut our cloth' as we need to.

It doesn't matter if you have two or like us 22, we can love them all and only work at doing our best for them. :wave:

I was going to post but it would have said more or less this!, we have 36 and all our money goes on them. I do not buy things like make up or clothes or go out for meals etc or even to the cinema at present definitely no holidays. Both work hard long hours. We rarely fund raise as we both work long hours so have not time to make things to sell though I occasionally sell forage. Took on a special needs recently which we shouldn't have done as he has cost us literally thousands . .. .

No kids here either. We also have a really small mortgage relative to our income, so we're not really stretched financially, but if that was to change there's a heck of a lot I could cut out before they suffer. I have 4 currently - 2 insured, 2 not. I could afford more, but it's a time and space issue for me more than a money one.

I have four bunnies as well as lots of other pets, I don't go out much, i don't drink or smoke, I love to spend my money on my house and my animals. I get bales of hay which is really helpful as they are cheap and last for ages.

I have educated myself a lot on rabbits; optimal nutrition, desease treatments etc.
Prevention is better then repairing.

They get a healthy well balanced diet- no rabbit muesli or any other unhealthy treats.
Good accomodation, regular vaccs, regular check ups and a great vet who works woth me and really listens.
I keep a very close eye on my rabbits and know that even the slightest change in behaviour can mean they are seriously ill and there for I am able to spot the onset of an illness imediately.
I examine them daily and also have a first aid kit but it is only after years of research and experience that I know what I am doing.
Whenever mine have been sick, it has been my mistake cos I made a feeding mistake. Also knowing the healing properties of certain herbs helps with the recovery.

Obviously having a special needs rabbit is something entirely different.

And needless to say being smart with money. We know where to buy great quality at low prices (Lidl and Aldi :thumb: our food expenditure is half of what it used to be and we get twice the quality of Sainsburys& co).
Car boot sales are great and they appear to be getting more high quality as more people are selling rather than throwing away.

We very rarely go out for meals as most reataurants use cheap ingredients and just add artificial flavourings such as glutamat or add loads of sugar or fat to add flavour. We and most of our friends entertain at home much nicer and at least then we know what we are eating;)

It is a combination of things but it all adds up.

Last edited:
All my money goes on my children and animals... I don't go out really and I'm really pleased to have been budgeting better which is a huge help. I don't have pet insurance but put money away weekly and I have a savings account which doesn't grow much but it's there for the emergencies...

Only thing is, with this horrible weather. I desperately need a pair of boots but feel guilty about going to buy a pair... :oops::shock:

I have six rabbits. Only one has had to go to vets for anything other than vaccines and neuters. That was a dental which I hope will be a rare event.

I dont drink or smoke. Most of my income goes on son and animals. All of which I love.

We have 2 dogs, 6 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs and 1 hamster. I would love more rabbits but stop myself mainly because of time/energy but also space.

Only thing is, with this horrible weather. I desperately need a pair of boots but feel guilty about going to buy a pair... :oops::shock:

Lots of people from work have been recommending this car boot. I have never been but it is ment to be very good :thumb:

The offices of UK's biggest shoe manufacturer are very close and lots of employees are selling their almost new shoes/boots there;)

Last edited:
We only have two (for now :lol:) but also have 3 guinea pigs and 3 cats (and 2 kids, they annoy me too ;) :lol: )

For us it's much the same as other posters... no noticeable social life, no drinking (OK, occasional bottle of wine, ahem) or smoking, we budget, we have a small mortgage and we're sensible with bills. We've also been very lucky in that none of our animals has ever had a health issue that required ongoing treatment which I'd like to attribute to our fantastic care but is much more likely luck of the draw!

If a huge vets bill came up tomorrow we have savings, and even lots of stuff kicking about the house that we could sell to make fast cash. We're not well off by any stretch of the imagination but we're good at making do.

II have been out of work for nearly 2 months now and it's the unemployed parts when money is tight. I don't turn to the PDSA, and I don't sign on, I live off my savings from my last job.

you really should sign on. even if you refuse the money. you will be missing stamps which count towards your pension in old age if you do not.

Back