• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on back of neck?

catpud

Warren Scout
When Lexi stretches her neck out, recently I have been seeing quite a large area of bare skin. It's around the shoulder blades and where the neck meets the body.

I thought it was from moulting, as I heard it can happen, but the fur still has not regrown there and Lola is almost half way done with the moulting now. As Lola is a different colour you can see how much of her fur has regrown, so comparing her to Lexi I think the fur should have regrown there at least a bit by now?

They are both eating fine, poos are normal - large and golden. They still have a big appetite for hay and pellets. Lexi's bald patch is not crusty, the skin looks healthy with no dandruff or scabs. She is not itching or over grooming the area from what I have seen. There has been no fighting and fur pulling either.

Is this getting to the point where I should take her to the vets or does this sound normal? Do you think it is still down to the moult?

If anybody says it is hard to be sure, then she is going to the vets anyway but I want to check I am not worrying over nothing. I can try to get pictures tomorrow if you all think that may help?

Pics might help a bit more :) some of mine have very soft neck hair that parts and you can see the skin through it (esp on my rex Freckle).. is it like that or an actual patch?

I will take some tomorrow, it's a bit dark right now. It is an actual bald patch rather than thin hair I think. Its fairly large with thinner hair around the actual patch if that makes sense? The actual patch is about the size of a 50p peace with some thinning around the area. I'm not sure if the thinning means it is getting bigger?

All mine have baldy patches on their necks when they stretch.. I think it's just where the fur parts. If it looks like it's getting bigger, looking irritated, or bothering her, then pop her to the vets. x

Back