• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The vet is flummoxed :(

Cherish

New Kit
At the beginning of last month, I posted a thread on this forum about how my rabbit's litter tray practices had gradually declined, beginning shortly after we had him castrated. I got no replies, so presumably no one could help or offer any advice.

Anyway, a little while after posting that thread, I noticed that Basil seemed thinner. Noticeably thinner. Even though he was still eating just fine, and he was exhibiting no signs of pain or distress.
So I immediately took him off to the vet.

The vet found that Basil's body weight had more than halved.
I feel awful. I can't believe I didn't notice that he was losing weight sooner. He must have lost it quickly, but I feel terrible that he managed to lose so much before I realised something was wrong.

Anyway, the vet checked all the usual things; he has no problems with his teeth (he is a mini lop) so the vet prescribed a course of antibiotics, as she believed that the most likely cause was some kind of infection, perhaps in the kidneys.
We completed the course of antibiotics, and brought him back to the vet for his check-up. Basil has gained a very small amount of weight, but his litter tray habits have not improved at all; he is still urinating and defecating everywhere, both in and out of his cage, as well as sitting in his urine, which is completely out of character for him.
So I do not believe that the root cause of his illness has been successfully treated by the antibiotics, despite the minor weight regain, and asked for a blood test.

The vet agreed that this was the best course of action, but she has no idea what exactly is wrong with him. She said that whatever it is, it is unusual and not a common issue.
The test results should be back around mid-week. In the meantime, all I can do is wait and worry.

Please, has anyone here experienced anything like this with their rabbits? Or have any clue what this could be?
Not knowing what this illness is (and whether or not there is a treatment) is just horrible.

It definitely sounds like a kidney/liver problem. My bridge bun did this exact same thing, but she was also a dental bunny and she died during a GA before I found exactly what was wrong with her. Will your vet check for EC? Has she tested his urine?

Sorry about your bridge bun, Vegan Bunny.
My vet has not tested his urine, should I request one?

Also what is EC?
(Forgive my ignorance, I haven't had a lot of bunnies, and never a really sick one before.)

is your vet rabbit savvy? if not, you could post where you are and see if someone can recommend one for you. :wave:

biscandmatt: I believe so. They came recommended by a long-time rabbit-owning friend, and they were brilliant when we had him neutered.

Thank you for the link, Marchi! Reading through now.

biscandmatt: I believe so. They came recommended by a long-time rabbit-owning friend, and they were brilliant when we had him neutered.

Thank you for the link, Marchi! Reading through now.

If you want a second opinion, many people on RU use Simon Maddock at The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. He's an outstanding bunny vet and well worth a visit.

I will definitely keep him in mind, Mackers. If we don't get a firm answer from the blood test, I think I will be seeking a second opinion.

Thank you, Biscandmatt!

Keep us updated. Have you got any food to get some weight on him? I used recovery food for Ellie and she piled on the lbs. I believe you can use Alfalfa hay or rolled oats to the same effect. :)

Alfalfa mixed in with his hay, pellets designed for young rabbits, and half a tablespoon of rolled oats (mixed with a little water) should help put weight on.

A urine sample would be another thing to look into - see what the blood tests say, hopefully they'll turn up something.

I'm in the same position as you ATM with my rabbit. Usual vets can't give a diagnosis & seem reluctant to do anything more than take bloods & give meds but that's not getting to the bottom of the problem!

They think it could be EC but getting a rabbit savvy vets opinion who is trusted is worth paying for. I too am seriously considering going to the Cat & Rabbit Clinic, N'pton & will be making enquiries on Monday.

Back