• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poops

Jojo123

Mama Doe
My bunnies are slowly increasing the area and the amount that they poop in further and further from their trays! Has anyone tried cutting back there space to try and make them stop? Read that this was an idea to keep them from pooping everywhere

I haven't done this, & haven't had the problem, but don't want to leave you unanswered.
Bunnies & most other animals use pooh (&wee) to mark their territory.
I think that much depends on how you deal with it.
Bunny waste pooh doesn't have nasty disease causing bacteria in it, nor is it particularly smelly - so it's fine to sweep up stray ones & put them in the litter tray & use plain water for cleaning.
Some people go wrong by using scented cleaners or disinfectant which can lead to "biological warfare" as bunnies desperately try to reassert "This is MY place" by over scenting it.

When new, mine would pooh anywhere, then within 24 hours tend to pooh at 1 end of a small room which is where I put the tray. After a few weeks I could gradually move the tray anywhere, & they'd go there wherever they were in the house.

Good reply! Just thought I changed the other week what I clean their trays out with that could be why they are getting worse! They normally send a few flying when the jump out the tray but its got to be about 4ft away from their trays now so they are def pooping a lot further away and there is loads! Not the normal few you would expect, they don't poop anywhere when free ranging around the house! Im betting on the cleaner, good thinking! :D

Good reply! Just thought I changed the other week what I clean their trays out with that could be why they are getting worse! They normally send a few flying when the jump out the tray but its got to be about 4ft away from their trays now so they are def pooping a lot further away and there is loads! Not the normal few you would expect, they don't poop anywhere when free ranging around the house! Im betting on the cleaner, good thinking! :D

I'm glad that's given you an idea to work on.:D I think that could be your answer.

I have 2 trays which I rotate. They tend to lime up & it can be difficult to wash off. When this starts to happen, I treat the tray with simple vinegar to remove the lime, wash thoroughly, & use the other clean tray.

My 2 are just different, don't like getting their feet wet, & I had to make an alternative arrangement based on the communal wildie latrine!:lol: If your buns will use a standard tray, it's much easier.;)
Please let us know how you get on.

Back