• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny shed (from inception to occupation)

Foxhound31

New Kit
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and since we're about to start on our third bunny shed, I thougth I might actually post as a running report on how we're doing and it might help answer some people's questions, and give you a laugh when I goof something up.

So....

We have moved house and have a much smaller garden. Our previous 12x9 shed which used Runaround tunnels to give our two bunnies, Violet and Otto, access to their run, would have dwarfed the garden.

We are also reducing the family by rehoming our piggies (reluctantly) so the shed no longer need to accomodate two hutches and can be smaller. It will be set back into a bank in the garden. which might help protect it a little from the elements.

At the moment the requirements are:
  • Solid plank floor rather than OSB which can warp, had little load bearing when a 6 foot hutch made from 22mm tonge and groove sits on it.
  • Tongue and groove walls to minimise the entry of drafts.
  • Large windows for ventilation, light and to help make the shed look atractive in the garden.
  • Adaquate size for the hutch, bunnies and us to clean them out in inclement weather.

Beast sheds have excellent floors and erect for free. However, their windows make the sheds look like bird hides. We got our last two from there.

This time we are looking at a company in Kent, Ace Sheds, who can fulfill the requirements above. We might replace the windows with some larger ones frm a company called Windows4Sheds....if they ever answer their email.

We will get this kit from Runaround http://www.runaround.co.uk/collections/run-set-ups/products/linear-run-1 and mix it with the exisiting set up for outdoor access. Due to the very rural location we are also, as an aside going to have watch our vaccinations and worming dates carefully since the fields are full of wild bunnies.

Shed floor will be overlaid with 12mm ply which is spare from the previous shed. It is easier to lay the vinyl on it, makes for a flatter surface and spreads the load of the hutch. I got ours from Champion Timber. I will also use it to line the sides of the shed to a height of 4 feet and maybe all of the walls depending upon how I feel.

We are not insulating it (that's the plan at the moment) and we've got various cheap, battery powered LED packs for light (and lots of rechargable batteries) :)

That is the plan. The landscape guy is coming this weekend to discuss digging the bank and if he can supply a shed, then we will get going and pictures and stage by stage info will follow.

All comments welcome!

Anyone tried this idea...?

The man who is doing our gardening came over on saturday and suggested that rather than dig out part of the bank, we make a platform and the shed sits on that. My only worry with this is that it might provide a haven for other less welcome rodents. Anyone else tried a stilt mounted shed?

And we will only need room for one hutch since the piggies are going to be rehomed.

Yes. That's what we did. Our garden is on a hill so it's apparently much quicker than digging out the garden. They put up the shed in a day and so far I've not had any problems with rats etc, I've not even seen a spider!

So...rain and some planning changes have stopped play at the moment, hence the silence here./

We are in theory going for a 7x6 though and it is now just housing the buns since the 'piggies have been re-homed. And we might be buying more land so can go wild on the run planning :)

Back