• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the perfect Rabbit accommodation! make their dreams come true HELP! :)

Mollyrose

Warren Scout
Hello
At college, have an assignment to do about Rabbit Accommodation, can you all help me out,!? with things you spoil your bunnies with, ideas for the perfect accommodation, I am completely budget free so can make something beautiful!

Things to consider:

* - Two rabbits (buck and a doe)
* - Belgian hares (Large breed, BINKY SPACE)
* - Enrichment to encourage natural behaviours, (Toys, Space, Gnawing logs, digging pits etc. )
* - DEFRA CODES - (sickens me the limit on the space! :( .)
* - Space to encourage natural behaviours, (BINKY, SPRINT, - Run away space, to get away from the other half if they're in a mood!)
* - HIDEY HOLES
* - Fixtures Furnishings bedding
* - Security - locks CCTV?!
* - Treatments - water proofing hutches, disinfectants
* - Essentials - Food Bowls, Water bottles/ Bowls
* - BRANDS PELASE!!!! OR A WEBSITE, SO I CAN FIND OUT COSTS!

Thankyou!

For me no bunny accommodation is perfect without some runaround tunnels and pipes to connect the luxury pad to the outside run. Check out runaround.co.uk.
Also, as money is no object, you could create an underground warren that bunnies reach via the runaround pipes, makes it more natural like a burrow.
Good luck with your assignment, you should get an A* with all the ideas you will no doubt get on RU.
Vetbed (brand name) also for them to sleep on, it's so soft and luxurious.

For me no bunny accommodation is perfect without some runaround tunnels and pipes to connect the luxury pad to the outside run. Check out runaround.co.uk.
Also, as money is no object, you could create an underground warren that bunnies reach via the runaround pipes, makes it more natural like a burrow.
Good luck with your assignment, you should get an A* with all the ideas you will no doubt get on RU.
Vetbed (brand name) also for them to sleep on, it's so soft and luxurious.

Thank you so much! exactly what Im looking for :) need to get some more run around tunnels for my beauties, they've grown out of the baby ones I brought them! thanks again xx

Boxes (minus tape and staples) - I used to cut holes and flaps in them to get the bunnies started.
Paper bags
Platforms
Logs to climb and chew....

Definitely some runaround stuff.

If we are being realistic as well it is worth noting that having the runaround tunnels buried, although more attractive, is more risky if a bunny falls ill and chooses to hide away in the tunnel where it would be difficult to access.

My true ideal would be a summerhouse with a run built onto the front, so they had the porch area, possibly run built with aviary panels, so I could walk in and sit around the summer house with them and it would be safe from predators. From the summerhouse, which should be situated next to the house, there would be a hole made to provide secure access between the house and summerhouse, coming in into a display unit or similar, which can be left open to allow free range house access. The inside of the summerhouse would have plenty of shelves with guard rails, ramps, and CCTV or IP cameras.

they like to chew at anything .... paper, boxes, furniture, toe board trim, etc ....

also anywhere at where they can stretch out and run ...

A nice large and deep (meshed bottomed) digging area.

Wide shelves to jump onto eg a platform by a window so they can see out.

Walk in run covered with clear corrugated plastic roof to keep rain out but still allow light.

Insulated shed with at least 2 entrances connected to runs.

Large hutch (6 x3 x3) inside the shed to a put hay bale into in the winter as bedding.

Tunnels, willow, balls, toys that are rotated regularly to prevent boredom.

Lots of apple brances to chew on.

Forage (eg brambles) hung up so that they have to make an effort to get to it.

Food scattered/hidden so they can search for it (no feeding dishes).

Runs as large as possible so allow for racing about.

I just love Belgian hares and would dearly love to have one (or two) one day :love:

if i had no money limit i would have a shed and an avery attached in the avery-

concrete floor its easy to keep clean and woun't cause damp hocks leading to sore hocks and some kind of hard felt waterproofing ontop/ felt roof

a digging box 50w x50l x 30 h cm filled with soil

a catflap into the shed

wood apple tree/any ediable to bunnine logs big enough for them to sit on and climb on and jump

a hidy house double ended but low enough for the bunnies to jump on to

a chair for me to sit on but bunnies can jump on and hop under

hayrack

waterbowl/ trough

plenty of tunnels plastuic and wood as it has to be durable outside

inside the shed-

lino covering the floor and polysterine insulation for winter with fleece blankets in winter to stop sor ehocks and keep little feet warm

logs again like outside leading up to a platfom which takes the whole end side of the shed up with a sleeping compartment underneath

on top of the platform a litter tray and a big hay rack

bowls for water and food on a tray to stop water getting everywhere

a chair again liek outside

tunnels round along the edge which has the catflat attached to the wall to stop chewing and run for the bunnies to run/sleep in

litter trays next to the door with hay racks above

leave a large open space in the middle for playing where you can also place movable thigns like forage boxes and ediable tree branches and then also toys like jingly toys benji's faveriot or toilet tubes with mint and pellets in or to place veggies down during the day

and maybe more tunnels if you have space

Back