• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chickens as rabbits mate?!

Delta

Warren Scout
I'm basically just going to rant...
I went to the zoo on Monday where they have a 'farm barn' with rabbits in. I was amazed that these rabbits were being fed muslie as I thought they would know better but then i saw they were being kept with Guineas and chickens in the same pens. Surely that isn't right?!

In a confined space with chickens would not be good. If the bunnies spook the chooks or wind them up they could peck them in the eyes. Mine sometimes rear themselves to do this to my cat if he tries to wind them up, and there have been a couple of times where I've had to chase him away from them.

Bunnies can also cause serious injuries to guinea pigs if they kick them (accidently or on purpose) and rabbits and guinea pigs need very different diets and can pass on diseases to each other.

I would be tempted to give them some leaflets or have a word if you feel confident enough to.

We rescued a bun from a rescue (yes I know that sounds odd) and she had a nasty eye injury. Our vet thought she had been pecked and sure enough the rescue we had her from kept chickens, geese and ducks in the same pen as her. She was also fed muesli and the chickens in particular were very keen to share this with her.

I would be very wary of mixing chickens with buns.

The bun (Halo) has gone on to make a good recovery but still has a a scarred eye. She's still our beautiful girl though :love:

Back