• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheds - how to divide between two pairs

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting one large shed, instead of two, for my two pairs of buns, but wondering about dividing it up. I'm thinking of getting an 8x6 shed so each pair would have 4x6 each. But how high would the divide need to be? I presume it should be solid not mesh? And how do you make it easy to get from one side into the other, some sort if doorway?
Has anyone done this and wished they had just got two seperate sheds?
Any advice appreciated please, thanks.

This is my 8x6 shed

When I had two pairs one pair had the top level with the ramp down to the middle right
Then the other pair had the bottom level with ramp to middle left :)

I have my two pairs in a shed we used the back of a 5ft hutch and then a piece of 5ft plywood hinged as a gate.

Orginal plan was avairy panals but we got let down.

Rexripley - that looks fab, your dad is a superstar! And a real craftsman. I'd have to get a man in, but you've given me something to think about... And to show the local carpenter!

Hi, I had two pairs in one shed but it made one pair fight from the smell of the other pair so I had to take one pair out. It's something to consider. They couldn't see each other As they had a solid wood sheet an inch thick separating them but they still fought :cry:

Hi - here are a couple of suggestions.

This is a video (please turn the sound down :oops: ) of our first attempt. They were supposed to become a trio but it did not work. This brought a smile to my face seeing this as my bridge bunny Homer is in it :love: They are getting fenugreek crunchies :roll:

We did end up taking the hutch out to make more room. We also have a separate 6x4 part on this as it is a dog kennel so this part is used for storage.

These are old photos (from february this year) sadly we no longer have Bella with us any more - she passed away in March but I thought these are the best photo's to show how the shed is divided for my 2 pairs. Quite a bit has changed to setup since these photos for example it has been painted, different moderations done inside.

The shed is roughly 9x7 foot (It has been insulated with 50mm celotex on all walls and the roof with plywood on top. Each pair have 4.5ft by 7ft with a second level each. Flopsy and Lily have a 5ft level and Pickle and Pixie have a 4ft level. As you can see from the pictures we have an aviary type panel with a door which separates the two pairs and then we boarded it half away to avoid referred aggression and mesh biting.

In addition each pair have an 8x4x3ft run attached. Hope this helps :wave:

Eta: I have just read your first post again and seen your questions. I have to be honest and say it is not very easy IMO getting through each side especially when you are trying to get through with litter trays or needing to get through quickly. You always have to try and distract the buns so you can get through otherwise they will attempt to try and jump through!:lol:

It would be soooo much easier to have 2 separate shed setups or maybe create a separate door from the outside for the second half of the shed? - I am sure this is possible.

Bella & Pickle's half of the shed

The divider that separates the shed

Lily & Flopsy's side

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I've got the local shed man coming round tomorrow to give me a quote. Lots to think about here.

Jackaroonie1997 - do your buns make you take your shoes off before going in their shed?:lol:

Plywood pens?

Hi

When we considered dividing our old 12x9 shed we were going to put pens up either side, so each was 9 foot long and three wide, and then for the last two feet, make the pen five feet wide (so it looked like the letter 'L'). In the 2 foot gap between the base of the 'L's was going to be a ply bin for storing hay in.

The pens sides would be 2.5 foot tall and the base fo the L's would have had covers that lifted off so the buns had bolt holes.

Access to the great ourdoors would have been at the top of the L shape via runaround doors.

The ply would have attached to a 1x1 in framework. I've got a sketch plan if you want.

However, Trushka bunny died so we reverted to one pair and the piggies and ditched the pens idea.

Back