• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on the front of Buddy's neck

Hi,
I noticed a few days ago Buddy has a bald patch just under his chin on the front of his neck. He keeps pulling his fur and there are a few scabs in that spot. I took him to the vet today and she prescribed Xeno 450 to eliminate mites, she found no trace of them when she examined Bud but wants him treated just in case. My questions are - has anyone used Xeno? Is it safe? If it's not mites, why would he pull his fur and how do I stop him from doing it? He is fine otherwise. We were going to take him to a rescue to hopefully find him a wife next week but now we can't in case he does have mites :(

He's a free range house bunny on a diet of a table spoon of Burgess Excell pellets a day, unlimited hay and readigrass, dried herbs and fresh salad. His treats are usually small amounts of dried apple or beetroot.

(I know the photo's not great but that's all he'll let me do)

This may sound like an odd question but has he had a VHD Vaccination in recent weeks ?

Also, did the Vet suggest taking a skin scraping to look at under a microscope ?

It's quite common for them to not be able to spot the mites under the microscope even is symptoms/successful treatment implies they were there.

Reggie had suspected mites though it was never seen... Poor lad, and he was making a patch of fur thin on his back. The vet prescribed an injection that was given once and then again a few weeks later. Touch wood, no more mite symptoms.

Did your vet check his teeth? He could be dribbling from his mouth which would cause a bald patch over time. I learnt this the hardest way.:(

Thanks for the replies.

This may sound like an odd question but has he had a VHD Vaccination in recent weeks ?

Also, did the Vet suggest taking a skin scraping to look at under a microscope ?
No, he hasn't been vaccinated recently, he's not due till January. And no, she did not look under the microscope.

Did your vet check his teeth? He could be dribbling from his mouth which would cause a bald patch over time. I learnt this the hardest way.:(
Sorry to hear that bunnylover. Buddy had his teeth checked in August. He didn't want to eat hay so the vet suggested checking his teeth to see if they're the reason but they're fine. His chin is dry too.

Has anyone here used Xeno 450? I've heard so many stories about rabbits poisoned by mites treatments, I'm a bit scared to use it on Buddy :(

I use Xeno450 with no problems, I found it very effective but changed to the beaphar brand (same active ingredient, Ivermectin) as it was cheaper for me.

Back