• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zithromax Susp U/D Bob's been hospitlised today

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
My poor Bob has had a terrible ear infection for over 4 months now, it's been fought with two types of injectable drugs, one ceporex and I forget the name of the other, but basically a penicillin mix one. He has been having it cleaned out at vets once a week and twice daily at home. It's pretty much getting there now but my vet is now giving him a blast on oral Zithromax, which I've not used before, anybody used it, what is it like?

Last edited:
I have not used it but I know several people on here have and it has apparently been very useful. My main worry is the effect it can have on the GI tract, especially as it's given orally. A few people have had problems with the Rabbit stopping eating/gut stasis with Zithromax. But others have had no problems with it at all and as I said, they found it to be very useful.

Hope it helps Bob xx

Thanks Jane, I had not heard of it before, my vet did say any poo (unnormal), bloating etc to stop straight away, hopefully this will be the push his ear needs :love:

The bunny King, Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton uses it a lot. I've had it prescribed on several occasions. HOWEVER, it's usually only used for severe infections or as a last ditch, guns blazing, type attack as Simon said it's his 'big guns' when it comes to antibiotics and he doesn't want to build up resistance to it. Pea had it when she had a terrible tooth root abscess and Folly had it on several occasions for pnuemonia.

I've never had any bunnies who develop tummy upsets as a result but, if I remember rightly (it's been a while since I've had any), Simon prescribes it every day for 5 days and then every other day for another five days. I believe Zithromax is one antibiotic which has a cumulative effect on the system and can 'build up' if given every day for 10 days. That's why he swaps to every other day after the initial 5 day period.

I used it for Pansy's ear infection but she had an awful reaction to it, within 10 mins she was flat, not eating and in a lot of pain, she needed intensive vet treatment :( she was poorly for 3/4 days...it is supposed to be effective but I don't think I'd ever risk it again

Thanks for the advice, I think I will start it tomorrow rather than tonight as I don't get in until late and I am concerned about him taking ill overnight.

I have used it several times - if I recall correctly four times - of those only one had a reaction of stomach ache (no diarrhoea just aches) the first night. One other was a bit quiet first 24 hours but eating fine - other two complete breeze no reaction at all.

Less wonderfully it didnt do anything for three of them (despite cultures that suggested it would help). They included two inner ear infection cases, a jaw abscess, and . . . I cant quite recall what the other was - think it was a wound abscess from fighting but cant recall where - presume one that had become encapsulated (sorry . . . ). It was the ears and jaw it did not help with.

Cleo had it near the beginning of her severe head tilt episode to cover in case of ear infection. We had no problems. She was on it daily for 5 days, then every other sag until the 5 week course was up.

Thanks guys :love: I'm trying not to worry, I've had him hospitalised today and he's having his first dose under supervision at the vets, I dropped him in this morning and hopefully if he gets through the first dose ok he shouldn't have any problems with it.

He' nearly ten he's one of the first buns I had when I joined this forum and he's outlived the lot so I am very worried about him :love:. He's been on injectable meds since the 27th of July every day so he needs a blast of something different. He's suppose to be on this twice a day for the next five days, I've not heard from vets so I am hoping the first dose as gone down ok :shock:

Thank you :love: I just spoke to vets he had it at 9 he's still eating and has no bloating or anything so seems to be ok so far :D

That's brilliant news and from what I have heard reactions are pretty instant. My vet is also Bunny King Simon Maddock, but for my severely disabled bunny Roger, he did say Roger would need to be admitted so that if he had a reaction to it, it could be dealt with immediately, but Roger was fine as well, but I would never have forgiven myself if anything had happened and he wasn't on site.

Yeah the vet nurse at the vets saw my panicking on facebook last night (I was going to give him a dose this morning, but was worried a reaction would happen whilst at work), they told me to take him up and they'll give it him and monitor him for me :love:

Glad to hear he's doing well so far. Having just lost a 10.5 year old bunny, I understand your worries with your old fella. I'm sure he'll be back to his old self very soon :D.

Back