• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any suggestions on these symptoms? Update 10/10!

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Hi... Conrad has not been himself this evening. We noticed he was making puddles of wee where he was sitting but he was still eating/pooing so I thought maybe urine infection? I gave him some metacam in case he was in pain but then he stopped eating :( I looked at his bottom and he is wet from sitting on the wee.

Took him to emergency vet and she's given him a baytril shot and I've given him critical care, which he took well. He is just sitting in his litter tray now :( I am so worried as Conrad has always been such a resilient rabbit, I don't think I've ever seen him leave a caecotroph and he loves food and people. This is so unlike him :(

I managed to give him 15 ml of critical care and will give again in a few hours.

Should I try and get to my vet for when they open at 8.30 or should I wait til they open and call ahead??

Anyone know what this could be??

Last edited:
Baytril? You need to see a different vet. Antibiotics should never be given to a bun with an upset tum unless there is a reason for it. Your bun will need painkillers and gut stimulants at the very least!

Can you contact a different vet? Or ring the vet you hae just seen and ask why on earth he got nothing but a shot of baytril? This vet sounds completely incompetent when it comes to rabbits. (Not meaning this in a bad way, but most vets have no idea about rabbits). Baytril will do nothing for him. Did the vet feel his tum? Check his teeth?

I have had a bun pee himself (which h never ever does) when he was in a lot of pain with his guts. His guts were cramping and that caused pressure on his bladder, which made him wet himself.

Ok!

I am going to continue feeding him every 2 hrs. Emergency vet said she thought it might be cystitis.

I will get up and take him to my normal vet for opening time and hope they can see him

I think it could be a UTI, and more appropriate meds will be needed than baytril. Have you got any Metacam, as I think it sounds like Conrad is in pain. Have you washed him or cleaned him up at all?

I think it could be a UTI, and more appropriate meds will be needed than baytril. Have you got any Metacam, as I think it sounds like Conrad is in pain. Have you washed him or cleaned him up at all?

I gave him metacam yes, and he appears to have washed himself now (saw him doing it earlier) and checked him before I came up for a nap. He is sitting in the litter tray now which I think is better than the floor as the megazorb is absorbing the wee rather than him sitting in it

I gave him metacam yes, and he appears to have washed himself now (saw him doing it earlier) and checked him before I came up for a nap. He is sitting in the litter tray now which I think is better than the floor as the megazorb is absorbing the wee rather than him sitting in it

Ok as long as he is clean, as the urine can be quite painful on a buns very thin skin. One of my 'special needs' 3 legged buns, needs washing each day, and I smear Vaseline on the area he gets wet, so as to protect it from the wet.

I would personally not syringe feed unless the vet confirmed that he doesn't have a blockage. Syringing water would be best, and just offering food to him, in order to tempt him. If he hasn't pood at all after a few hours, I would ring your vet again and ask that he has gut stimulants and a stronger pain killer, and to give him a thorough check over to rule out a blockage.

If both you and the vet suspect a uti then baytril was probably the best thing to get him through the night along with the metacam you gave him. The vet injected it so it wouldst have upset his stomach.

But he will need an on going course id it is a uti so i would ring the vet for an appointment when it opens. They can then test his urine to confirm it is a uti and decide if he needs further treatment for his guts. It may just be he is still in pain. I dont know what dose of metacam you gave but obviously the vet couldn't give a bigger dose if needed as he had been given some at home but your vet should be able to give more pain relief this morning

I hope he is feeling better today. Hugo'sThere made some good points. :) In my experience a UTI is more of a gradual thing, rather than something that suddenly happens, but obviously it could be different with different bunnies.

I thought Fiver had a UTI because he was peeing himself, but it was just all his muscles cramping up and causing him to pee himself.

Give us an update when you can. :)

He's not feeling better yet I am afraid. Here's him at the moment

null_zps12c1132f.jpg

He's cold so I've given him the blanket with a hot water bottle underneath.

He's on baytril and metacam. Vet gave him just ranitidine this morning as he had gut sounds. I'm feeding him everything 3 hours. We've got to get back to the vet for 11 tomorrow and they are going to flush his bladder. I hope that's the problem and will help :(

Poor guy. :( Was there evidence of sludge in his urine?

Sending him vibes. Can you offer a lukewarm hot water bottle for him? Make sure it isn't too hot, and wrap it up so he can't chew it. You will need to refill it every few hours or so. x

Ah I hope he picks up. Good luck tomorrow.

Hopefully the metacam is keeping him pain free.

I'm so sorry your bun is still feeling poorly. Along the lines of bladder sludge. Did the vet also look into bladder stones? I hope they are able to figure out what is going on with your little guy. Best of luck at the vets tomorrow.

I'm so sorry your bun is still feeling poorly. Along the lines of bladder sludge. Did the vet also look into bladder stones? I hope they are able to figure out what is going on with your little guy. Best of luck at the vets tomorrow.

Yeah she said she couldn't feel any stones

Yeah she said she couldn't feel any stones

Sludge is not stones, although I *think* it builds up to cause stones. I don't have much experience with bladder issues. I have had a bun that suffered from kidney problems UTI's, but not bladder sludge. Has he had his urine tested?

It's worth mentioning to the vet tomorrow. x

Poor Conrad ((((((((((((((((((((sending healing vibes)))))))))))))))))
He sure is a handsome guy even if he doesn't feel too well right now. Hope the hay eating continues! :thumb:

Back