• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disguising medicine..

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
At the moment Alfie is on 3x oral medicine and 2x eyedrops twice daily and we're finding it increasingly hard to give the oral meds to him. When he went to the vets today she suggested mixing it in with some fruit juice or something so the stuff tastes nicer, but I have no idea what to use! What do people use? Can you put it in any food as well, food that isn't going to give him upset tummies?

He's got meloxidyl (sp) and apparently rabbits love it, but not him...:roll: his partner, Rosy, takes it from the syringe through the bars with no hesitation but he doesn't like it :(

If anyone has any ideas, please do share! :wave:

I used to put it on a tiny bit of weetabix. Doughnut loves it and it soaks up the meds she thought it was a treat and I think it's better on their tums than juice as it's not high in sugar. I used to sometimes just crush it up and sprinkle the meds over.

Doughnut didn't used to like metacam either but now she does.

Willow and Nettle don't like any of the meds they've had (and Nettle now needs 7 lots of meds a day) and I had no luck with putting the meds on something else. I tried twice but couldn't try more as it was wasting the meds. So we just had to persevere.

I used to put it on a tiny bit of weetabix. Doughnut loves it and it soaks up the meds she thought it was a treat and I think it's better on their tums than juice as it's not high in sugar. I used to sometimes just crush it up and sprinkle the meds over.

Doughnut didn't used to like metacam either but now she does.

Ooh may have to get some tomorrow and try it!

How long was it before Doughnut liked the metacam? Does she now take it without struggle? :wave:

She was on it for 9 months and now is off it but I just put it in the syringe and laid on the floor with it so it was low down and she put it in her mouth so I just plunged it in. This is how she takes her metaclop now, she likes that as it's a syrup.

Can't remember how long it was as she was on all sorts of medicines, sometimes 5 a day so I used to just crumble the weetabix and put it all on there!

we put meds in with nibbles' favourite treats doesn't work for buttons though she can tell its not right :lol:

I've had success with Weetabix too recently with a little mashed banana on top too.

Ella's kitchen baby food. They do fruit purée ones and meds mix right in, you don't need to use much so a pouch lasts a while in the fridge. My buns think they are getting a treat and it's just fruit!

Back