• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who let their buns choose a partner??

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
Hi:wave: I know I know,willowsmum asking another bonding question :roll:

Who took their rabbits to choose a partner?? Or did you choose and hope for best?;)

Is it best for them to choose do you think??:wave:

I put my six in together (2 pairs and 2 brothers who had fallen out) and let them show me what they wanted. Turns out to be a quad and a pair (Mottle and Peaches have always been a very close couple). Tessie and Daisy are still close and the two boys have accepted each other again.

I think if I had a single rabbit I would be tempted to let them choose but if I fell in love with a particular rabbit at the rescue ... hmm. I would still go with the rabbit chosing, mabe you could find a few that you liked and take it from there?

I put my six in together (2 pairs and 2 brothers who had fallen out) and let them show me what they wanted. Turns out to be a quad and a pair (Mottle and Peaches have always been a very close couple). Tessie and Daisy are still close and the two boys have accepted each other again.

I think if I had a single rabbit I would be tempted to let them choose but if I fell in love with a particular rabbit at the rescue ... hmm. I would still go with the rabbit chosing, mabe you could find a few that you liked and take it from there?

i picked harley for bruce
and pickles for alfie, she then died, and we took him to pick at a rescue but that didnt work so she had to go back, then i picked penelope for him and they got on. never trust a man to pick!
now im going to attempt alfie and harley together :)

I have got such a fear about this! Willow is quite full on with grooming me, I hope he won't do that to his new wife might end in tears! Plus he's been known to bite the cats tails!
I've emailed some rescues asking what spayed females they have available:thumb:

Aww, hope you find somebunny nice for Willow, somebunny who likes being groomed:love: :D I've just bonded my 2 pairs into a quad, the girl pair never groomed each other, but the boy pair did. The boys groom each other and the girls too, but the first time they tried to groom the girls the girls were a bit :shock: what's going on :lol:

God I bet you all think I'm mental! Loads of you have bonded more than two rabbits! :shock: the stress of that would send me to an early grave :roll:

Its been amazing. I would love to do it again. I am not saying it was totally stress free (I am tired now and its only 6 o'clock) but it is just sooooooo interesting seeing how they all react to each other.

Let us know when the rescues get back to you. I love googling rescue rabbits!!

Well, we chose Kerbie but apart from knowing he was healthy and 7 years old we knew nothing about him. When my bf picked them up he was so happy because Kerbie is a nethie cross and my bf loves nethies :lol: we didn't mind what he looked like though, as long as Leo was happy.

God I bet you all think I'm mental! Loads of you have bonded more than two rabbits! :shock: the stress of that would send me to an early grave :roll:

No we don't think you're mental, I think I'm the mental one :lol: bonding my 2 pairs together was my first bond :shock: but they made it so easy for me :love: there was very little stress but I am under no illusion that I was very lucky :thumb:

Good point by Zoobec there. You are not mental at all. My six was my first ever bond and once Mottle and Peaches had been taken out of the mix it was pretty straight forward.

Easy to say when you can look back on it I know.

I think it's a good idea to take your bun along to meet a selection of lady buns if you can. With my boy, we took him to the a RSPCA, and he spent maybe 5-10 minutes individually with a couple of ladies, I think buns show their true personalities when they are with another bun, and we got to see how they reacted with each other. It's not perfect as they are in a strange environment but it gives you a good indication.
I remember we saw a lovely friendly little white bun, she was lovely, but when we put her together with my boy she was very bossy with him, nipped him, chased him etc.
good luck for a stress free bond x

We had a first (dutch) and second choice (mixed breed), we hoped he would bond with another Dutch. Fortunately he did!

Back