• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding George and Violet

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I've started bonding George (recently bereaved after his beloved Gemma went to the Bridge) and Violet (a new bun adopted from BARC). Because I've taken on lots of work to try and reduce my overdraft, bonding has been slower than I would have liked, but I am now leaving them together overnight (I am asleep in the same room and a light sleeper), but still in a small area.

George is constantly humping poor Violet. He was exactly the same with Gemma but I had hoped that as Gemma wasn't spayed (although I had been told she was) and Violet is spayed, George wouldn't be so humpy. Sadly, he is.

There was one short fight when I put them together initially but since then no aggression at all. George chases Violet and she runs away. Eventually, he either gives up for a while or she does and he has a quick hump and then moves on to nom some hay.

Once they move into the kitchen where they are to live, Violet will have areas where George can't reach her (which Gemma used when she got really fed-up). I just feel so sorry for her now but don't want to give up as I think both buns could live together harmoniously IF Violet can cope with George's humpiness as Gemma did.

Both buns are eating and pooping fine and both are flopping so not too stressed.

George was adopted from BARC too so I know both he and Violet are definitely neutered.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can reduce George's humpiness Violet and I would really appreciate them.

I was able to reduce fighting by gently laying a hand on one of the fighters - even though they are not rabbits that like to be touched, it seemed to callm them. Dont know if that could help during a hump fest.

You have done loads of bonding so its probably not news to you that food is an ace distraction. I didnt have humpy rabbits in my one (and only, so far) bond.

Hope someone comes along who can help.

Has he been seen by a vet? Could he have something wrong with his hormones?

My bun, Fiver humped a lot initially but he calmed down after a few days.

Has he been seen by a vet? Could he have something wrong with his hormones?

My bun, Fiver humped a lot initially but he calmed down after a few days.

I never thought of something being wrong :(

George has only had routine visits to the vet - he has never been ill. He has always been humpy, but Gemma tolerated it. I guess I could take him - he is insured too which helps - but what would I ask for? Can they do hormone profiles on bunnies? I know they can on humans.

I'd feel awful if there has been something wrong with him all this time and I hadn't done anything about it. It just didn't occur to me.

I'm doing a 10.5 hour shift today so have put the divider up in the pen so Violet doesn't spend all day running away from George. There is no aggression there at all and I think that once Violet has places she can go where George can't get to her, the bond will be fine.

I am not working at all over the weekend so am planning to move them both into the kitchen and see how it goes. I start three weeks full-time training next Monday and don't want them in a tiny pen for all that time. Poor Violet has nowhere to get away from George in the bonding pen, but she is still nomming and flopping so I don't think she is too stressed.

I will ask the vet about George when I take Apple for her dental. If hormone profiling is possible I think I will have it done, just to see if there is anything that can be done to stop George being so humpy.

Back