• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried....

vicky_26

Warren Scout
Back in May. I took my Parker to be neutered and was told in fact she would need a dental and her teeth were in a really bad condition. The (rather tactless I thought) vet said they would do the op but could make no guarantees it would fix the problem and if it re-occurred then it was best for the rabbit to PTS.

As you can imagine I was devastated and recently I have started to get quite paranoid that Parker's teeth are going to get bad again and I may lose her. No real proof/evidence of this, I think I may have heard some teeth grinding on occasion but nothing definite. Today when I came home from work I noticed there was clump of soft poos and that she looked like she may have a bit of a dirty bum. Now this just could be that she's sat in a clump of soft poos or it may be that it's due to her teeth. This was what happened last times so I've made an appointment with the vets tonight to get her teeth checked.

Am so worried.... Really hoping it's nothing and I'm just getting paranoid but can't help thinking what if she does need another dental. She's only a year old. And what do I do if the vet says the same as last time about PTS??

With regards to the soft poos (which I do see on occasion) is this down to diet?

I give my rabbits a small portion of pellets in the morning and a serving of veg in the evening. They also have lots of hay and forage available throughout the day.

I would seriously consider going to another Vet. PTS at the first hurdle re Dental problems is more than a bit drastic.

It does sound as though the mucky bum may be Dental related. A diet too high in protein/carbs and too low in fibre (hay) can also play a part.

I would have serious doubts about the 'Rabbit Saviness' of a Vet who suggested your Bunny should be PTS.

ETA The Surgery you use would not be Animal Ark by any chance ?

Last edited:
I would seriously consider going to another Vet. PTS at the first hurdle re Dental problems is more than a bit drastic.

It does sound as though the mucky bum may be Dental related. A diet too high in protein/carbs and too low in fibre (hay) can also play a part.

I would have serious doubts about the 'Rabbit Saviness' of a Vet who suggested your Bunny should be PTS.

I echo this. Often the sorts of vets who suggest PTS straight off are either:

1. Inexperienced and unable to do more thorough checks because they don't know how and aren't willing to learn
Or
2. Have the view that its *just* a rabbit and its a waste of your money and their time trying to save it when you could buy a new one for a tender
Or
3. A horrific combination of them both

Vibes for Parker, I would put up a post in Rabbit Chat with the title Looking for Rabbit Savvy Vet in *your area* xxx

ETA The Surgery you use would not be Animal Ark by any chance ?

The vets I use is my local one in Notley (near Braintree, Essex) where I live. I have had rabbits for 5 years but have had no trouble at all with Poppy so when this first came up with Parker, I was actually devastated. As I know no different, u believe what the vets tell you and I'm not embarrassed to admit I was in floods of tears believing I was going to lose my baby and it was all my fault (was told it was due to me feeding muesli).

I am so glad to be told that this wouldn't be a standard response to dental issues..... I can hopefully not be quite so distressed if it is dental again that they will say I need to 'do the right thing' and consider PTS

I will also look to find a more suitable vets going forward.

I just hope and pray the vet I see tonight is a bit savvy.

Thank you so much for your responses.

Did they tell you what sort of dental it was?

My rabbit Alfie has a lot of dentals because of molar spurs, and it is a fairly simple procedure, and not one a rabbit savvy vet would ever regard as one, if it reoccurs, for a bunny to be PTS.

It does sound like a dental issue, but I would advise trying to find another vet too, one that cares a lot more about bunnies.

I hope it goes alright and that Parker is ok :)

Thank you guys.

Just got back from the vets. My heart did sink as it was the same vet as last time! She said Parker's teeth were getting a bit sharp which May account for the messy bum, as well as giving me advice on the soft poos (reduce greens). Also Parker is marginally lighter than last visit. (She was 2.3 now 2.2 kg) Should I be concerned by that?

She said Parker would need another dental to file them (I think that's what she said). She's going to combine it with a neuter. I did ask if it was common with rabbits that had dental issues for every 6 months or so to have to have dentals and she said if the teeth were bad after a month or two that would be a cause for concern and it would just be see how she goes as it's not good for a rabbit to have constant anaesthetics and depending how it goes it could reach a point where you have to decide if it's kinder for the rabbit to PTS and for me cost wise!

I did chat to a lady in the waiting room who had brought her rabbit in and she said there is a vet there called Lucy who is very good with rabbits so maybe I need to make sure I get her in future.

Can't write much now as only got poor Internet on phone - not much help this moment but my excellent vet Sam is setting up a new practice in Braintree next year, exact date tbc but hopefully March. I would definitely recommend swapping to her when she opens.

I know the practice you must mean now, if you can get to the witham branch, Melinda is excellent and a very confident surgeon, also Kat is great with bunnies but she is mostly at ingtestone and is off sick at the moment I think.

Hope you manage to get something sorted x x

I've been told about Sam and would def be interested in going to her when she sets up as she's been so well recommended.

All the ops are done in the Witham branch (they are transported from the Notley one) so hopefully it's one of the good surgeons you mentioned that actually do it. Parker is booked in for Thursday to be neutered and have her teeth filed so fingers crossed it all goes ok.

Thanks for all the messages and advice x

How did it go? Hope your little one is ok x x

Hello! She's ok I think. She came home last night at 8 pm. She wouldn't eat anything, I think they had been syringe feeding her at the vets. She did around half a dozen poos.

I left her some greens, one of her treats and some pellets and early this morning when I checked on her I saw she had eaten the few greens I'd left, possibly a few pellets and the treat.

I also saw her do a wee and a few more poos so at least that is one thing.

A little while later I gave her her Metacam. She's not eaten anything more yet, she's really not interested in any food but I am hoping she will eat more as the day goes on?

She's very quiet and subdued and clearly not happy but then I am sure that's expected after a big op?

I had a look at her wound this morning and that all looks fine so that's a good thing.

I know it's extremely important for rabbits to eat but is a loss of appetite expected? Is it just a case of as long as she eats something no matter how little?

Buns can take a little while to eat normally post op so as long as something is going in and coming out thats good. I've had buns who had dentals and spays/neuter at the same time and they recovered in a similar time to those that only had one or the other, but pain relief is doubly important so its great she's getting metacam. Hopefully she'll be back to normal in no time.

She's such a little monkey. Have been worried all morning that she won't eat and has only eaten very little trying to entice her with her favourite treats -no joy, hay, greens, pellets... Nothing. Just sitting in the corner of the kitchen with her back to me.

Was close to calling the vets thinking I may have to take her back in or get some critical care stuff when I turn round and she's eating! She had probably about 4 mouthfuls of kale so slight sigh of relief!

Hopefully her appetite will continue to pick up and she'll drink! (Not seen her drink yet)

It's hard work having rabbits at times! (But soooooo rewarding!) x

Glad to hear she's getting better!
My vets have always said they may lose their appetite a bit but as long as they're pooing that's a good thing! Alfie took a little while to eat after his dental recently, he wouldn't stop drinking though, I guess every bun is different!

Hope Parker is back to her normal self in no time :)

Oh bless you. Ellie took a little while to come round after her last big operation, she did the same thing to me too and I when I turned around she had her head inside a bag of spinach! Naughty girl. I do hope Parker feels better soon.

I found a bowl of water encouraged my bun to drink after her op, even though she had only ever really used a drinking bottle. Not sure if it was more comfortable, or just easier but it worked so it may be worth trying that until she is fully recovered.
Hope she feels better soon x

Back