• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I hate bonding :oops: I'm trying to bond Paddy and Maisie just now. His post neuter hormones have died right back down and he is friendly and wants to be friends with Maisie. But she is grumpy and sending out anti social messages. I have them on neutral ground in my bedroom. When I am not there the pen is divided so there is a barrier between them. When I go to sit with them I lift the barrier and they both come to the middle to investigate. They start by ignoring each other, then Paddy approaches Maisie, tries to sniff her or even put his head under her chin. But she also stamps and snarls and then he runs away. When he gets close enough to put his chin under her she tries to bite him. She did this a few times until he snapped and became aggressive towards her and the circle chasing possible nipping occurred. So they are separate for now.

I am wondering who the dominant one is here, is it Paddy requesting grooming and being more outgoing. Or is it Maisie who is withholding affection and retreating. She is bigger than him and was dominant of her previous mate.

Also are these signs encouraging at all or is there no hope?

I have thought about taking them for a car drive but am not sure about that, they tend t relax and sleep on the way to the vets but they might fight in a car :?

Its been so long since I did a bonding and all my previous ones were very easy because the rabbits just liked each other right away. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Back