• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it bad that I...

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
don't want to put Alfie and Rosy back together again? :?

Their bond partially broke down on Wednesday of last week and progressively got worse, until Friday when they were seperated due to Alfie being scared stiff and confined to his hutch because Rosy would chase him (and nip, pull fur, growl etc) whenever he tried to go downstairs. Since they're seperated I have noticed SUCH a big change in Alfie, he is soo much more relaxed and happy :love: He is like a different rabbit all over again. Rosy isn't as happy, I can tell. They can see each other through the bars, and can groom each others faces etc. they sit at their divides most of the time, obviously trying to be close together bless them :love: I just can't get over the change in my little boy!

Roo always would chase him, nip, he frequently had fur pulled out, she was very dominant and was a bully to him. They definitely did have their good times though, they were so loved up and would snuggle together loads, with lots of grooming and obvious affection. However every meal time, or time in the run, or somewhere new, Rosy would be a pain in the :censored: and would be horrible to Alfie. I've even got the scars to prove I had to separate a fight once where Rosy lunged at Alf, intending to bite him but bit me instead! We've tried loads of things to strengthen their bond and nothing has worked.

I do feel kind of bad for Rosy, but Alfie is so much happier without her next to him! They have been together for about 20 minutes this weekend and all was fine until Alfie moved (literally hopped away from Roo) and Roo did her usual chasing, pulling fur, frantically trying to get to him. I intervened, put Rosy back in her half of the enclosure and they've not been together ever since.

We're going to try and rebond them when Alfie's eyedrops have stopped (they smell funny which is why we think the bond has broken) but I feel bad for Alfie as he is so happy without her :( I can't say I'd be upset if Rosy didn't take him back, and tbh I'd much rather they stayed separate! Obviously I will try and rebond them once Alfie's eye drops have stopped and there are no funny smells, but I just can't help but feel bad for Alfie at what it'll put him through!

We can't afford any more pets, so it's not an option to rebond both of them with new rabbits either.

Am I being awful?:oops:

Not awful at all. Snowflake was well happy when I first separated him and Frosty - sheer relief. Now (many months later) they are back together (with two does, sisters) and they do seem ok. Frosty still nips and chases Snowflake but no fur pulling or growling.

Would you be able to swap Rosy for another rescue rabbit who would bond with Alfie?
Bit of a 'practical' suggestion that doesnt take in to account your feelings for Rosy.

As you say, it could be the drops putting her off, but it sounds like lfie is having a hard time anyway ... Best of luck.

Not awful at all. Snowflake was well happy when I first separated him and Frosty - sheer relief. Now (many months later) they are back together (with two does, sisters) and they do seem ok. Frosty still nips and chases Snowflake but no fur pulling or growling.

Would you be able to swap Rosy for another rescue rabbit who would bond with Alfie?
Bit of a 'practical' suggestion that doesnt take in to account your feelings for Rosy.

As you say, it could be the drops putting her off, but it sounds like lfie is having a hard time anyway ... Best of luck.

I'd feel too bad swapping her, and I'm far too attached anyway but I can see why you said it! :)

Alfie is on life long metacam now and possibly other things due to his problematic tooth roots which then cause problems with his tear ducts and it is a possibility they may get blocked quite regularly. The idea with the eyedrops is they help to dissolve the gunk that builds up in his ducts, so it may be he needs eyedrops pretty regularly, if not constantly, so then if she rejects him whenever he needs eyedrops I don't see how they're going to be successfully able to live together! I do feel bad as Rosy was very nice to him at times, and she does love him (it's obvious they love each other!) it's just most of the time she was an utter cow.:roll:

Back