• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got my first bale!!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Can't believe how giddy I feel at having just purchased my first bale of hay for the rabbits :lol: I really hope they like it as it'll save me a fortune, was £6.20 for rectangular bale, looks and smells pretty good, not amazing but then I got some bags last week that I thought looked and smelled amazing and the rabbits weren't impressed! Even if I just use it for litter trays and get some nicer eating hay it'll save me money but here's hoping they like it! Got it from a place near work that I pass so it's waiting in my car til home time :lol:

Yes, bales are much better value, and I've discovered if you shop around you should be able to find some really nice stuff, I get mine from a feed place and they supply to horse people. My buns have never eaten so much as they do now they're on baled stuff, I don't buy anything else now :D

Yes, bales are much better value, and I've discovered if you shop around you should be able to find some really nice stuff, I get mine from a feed place and they supply to horse people. My buns have never eaten so much as they do now they're on baled stuff, I don't buy anything else now :D

Yeah this is from a horse feed place :thumb: I asked someone who has ponies where they got theirs from and it's somewhere I pass regularly and now I know I can squeeze it in my little car along with a toddler it will be easy to get so fingers crossed they like it :D

I do wish we had a car so we could get things more local. We use hayforpets at the moment which the buns love, so I'm happy enough, but I love trying them with new things. It's calming watching buns nose through hay for the really tasty bits :)

I do wish we had a car so we could get things more local. We use hayforpets at the moment which the buns love, so I'm happy enough, but I love trying them with new things. It's calming watching buns nose through hay for the really tasty bits :)

I did try hay for pets once but it didn't last as long as I hoped and it just wasn't really cost effective, plus having stuff delivered is the pain for me!!

Yey. Bales are a bargain. Must ask friends if they would be up for picking me up a small bale. Hay for pets and timothyhay.co are both excellent but it soon goes - very soon.

Some farms are happy to deliver it for a pound or two extra, especially if they are delivering larger amounts for horse customers who buy lots at once. If you are on the way to where they are dropping off anyway they are sometimes happy to call around with a bale.

I get mine delivered by my uncle so haven't had to ask yet, but I know the farm supply shops near me are happy to deliver locally for free as well. The one in my town delivers for free within a 5 mile radius and it's a pound every so many miles after that. Might be worth asking if they will drop it off if anybody can't drive to get it themselves :thumb:

Some farms are happy to deliver it for a pound or two extra, especially if they are delivering larger amounts for horse customers who buy lots at once. If you are on the way to where they are dropping off anyway they are sometimes happy to call around with a bale.

I get mine delivered by my uncle so haven't had to ask yet, but I know the farm supply shops near me are happy to deliver locally for free as well. The one in my town delivers for free within a 5 mile radius and it's a pound every so many miles after that. Might be worth asking if they will drop it off if anybody can't drive to get it themselves :thumb:

I'll look into it. I'm wondering as there is a pet shop up the road which has bags of hay which the buns don't much like that comes from a local farm, literally 1 minute drive or less from here. But I'm thinking a bale itself would be *much* better quality. Thanks for mentioning, I shall investigate.

That's awesome :D are definitely the best value :)

I remember getting my first bale last November and I put it in the bunnies' aviary for a couple of hours and they went MENTAL (there are photos and a video on here somewhere)! I didn't even think it looked that good, it wasn't as green as the stuff I'd been getting from tescos, but it smelt good and apparently it tasted amazing! The bales are varying greenness around the year, I should have expected November bales may not be so green!!

Must look into it, for using in the litter tray. Hay for pets and Timothyhay, as good as they are seems such a waste for the litter tray.

I got hay bales delivered through someone local to me who keeps polo ponies. It's worth looking as I think some farmers list on gumtree and preloved and will usually deliver in my (very limited!) experience. I found 4 different sellers near me.

That's awesome :D are definitely the best value :)

I remember getting my first bale last November and I put it in the bunnies' aviary for a couple of hours and they went MENTAL (there are photos and a video on here somewhere)! I didn't even think it looked that good, it wasn't as green as the stuff I'd been getting from tescos, but it smelt good and apparently it tasted amazing! The bales are varying greenness around the year, I should have expected November bales may not be so green!!

I was thinking I'd love to do that :lol: unfortunately there's 2 pairs and I don't think the bale would fit in their hutches :lol: Can't wait to get home really hope they like it!

Well they didn't go mad for it, but then they did get their pellets at the same time! They all tucked in after their pellets tho so at least they didn't turn their noses up! The truth will be in the rack in the morning - empty or not?! Haven't got a storage box for bales yet so had to transfer some to a bag in my kitchen and I think my poor dog has hay fever!! Both dogs were sniffing at the bale but one of them was then coughing! Gave him a piriton and he's fine now :/ have had to put the hay in a duvet cover in my spare room! Have stuffed a couple of pillow cases for using now. It's barely touched it so I'm hoping this will last :D

Back