• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feel heartbroken

sheps

Warren Scout
went away in the summer holidays , lost my job, got back from the holidays where lola was staying with my mum and she told me i couldnt have her back as she has been outside now so she didnt want me to put her back in the flat , understandable as its her natural instincts, my mum has now said to me its not fair on lola , so she has said i have to make a decision , so basically my mum wants me to give her away , and im so upset i didnt think it would make me so sad, this week im meeting up with her to talk about where lolas going to go, orignally she was going to live with my nan and i would see lola all the time but now things have changed and i dont know what to do, i feel like im going to let lola down :(

:(:(

I can't believe your mum is now saying you can't have your own rabbit back! :evil:

Unless you feel that Lola is genuinely happier outside (I would think not as I would assume she automatically would get less attention?) and she doesn't get much space in your flat I don't think there is any reason to give her away. You obviously care about her a lot otherwise you wouldn't be here so I'm sure you provide a loving home with care and attention.

She looks like a happy cared for bunny with space in your picture. :love:

I do see why people say "it's much more natural for them to be outside" but it's also more natural for them not to be neutered/vaccinated/given health care because they wouldn't get that in the wild. My two are house bunnies, personal choice. I don't think they are missing out.

I hope you find a solution.

looking at everyones rabbits is making me sad i wanna keep her and trying to keep the tears back as im in the library. well my nan has bought a house and i was gonna buy her big hutch and she was gonna stay there and i would visit all the time but my mum said she gets the feeling that she doesnt want lola there , we shall see how the conversation goes with my mum , dreading it to be honest with you

thats just awful, i think indoor buns are fab, id much rather have them than a cat and people keep them in flats all the time!!

if shes your bunny and you own her then its not for your mum to take her away surely?

i would have her back in a flash but im my mum would refuse , i was gonna bond lola and was prepared for everything but my my mum was no , i had everything planned for her and it just seems i been let down , when she first came to the flat she dug the carpet up , i dont own the flat , its half rented and privately owned , i got two guinea pigs . i think i just need to have a big think about everything. my mum will understand but my dad might not :/

That's so unfair, plenty of people have indoor bunnies, and if she lives as a single bunny then indoors is better anyway for more human company. I assume you are an adult, in which case your mum has no right to stop you having your rabbit back. It is up to you as her owner to decide what is best for her and provide it for her.

yeah im 20 , when i got back from holidays i was expecting to have her back , but they said no at that moment ,im so angry , i tried to educate them and then all of a sudden there telling me what i told them in the first place i dont know im just gonna have to speak to my mum and try and persuade her to let me have her back

That's so unfair, plenty of people have indoor bunnies, and if she lives as a single bunny then indoors is better anyway for more human company. I assume you are an adult, in which case your mum has no right to stop you having your rabbit back. It is up to you as her owner to decide what is best for her and provide it for her.

This, absolutely. If Lola has you for company and lots of space in your flat, then she is far better off with you than given away to someone who might not give her the appropriate care. And if you do bond her as you mentioned, then even better. There are ways in which you can limit any damage, such as cheap carpet tiles in the places she likes to dig.

I don't see how your Mum can keep her from you, she's your pet!

the person i got her from didnt even neuter her or vaccinate her , shes 3 im surprised shes still alive really , f i do get her back im hoping she has calmed down alot , she hates my guineas always thumps at them , fingers crossed i can talk my mum around it. she always was aloud out when whe were at home and put in when we were out. having a coffee with mum some time this week so hopefully i can persuade her

time for a big argument. shes is YOUR rabbit. tell her to hand her back immediatly. I wouldn't place her at your nans unless your nan is keen on having a rabbit because she will only get minimum attention if not wanted. what hold have your parents got over you? are they paying for your flat or something? if not they have no right-you are an independant adult who can demand her pet back. and i would not leave any of your animals with your parents when you go away in future-at least with paid boarding they are keen to hand them back!

Lola is your bunny, end of, no discussion necessary. My buns are all inside and to me that means they're safe, I can watch out for signs of illness that I might not see if they were outdoors and they get attention all the time because I can't be in the room without fussing them.

just take her back. she's your rabbit. no way i'd let anyone tell me i couldn't have my own pet back! :shock:

I don't understand this - you're 20 years old, don't live with your parents and yet they are telling you what to do with YOUR bunny?

Time to put your foot down I think and insist on taking Lola home with you. It will be hard - but sounds like your parents need to until those apron strings a bit.

yeah im 20 , when i got back from holidays i was expecting to have her back , but they said no at that moment ,im so angry , i tried to educate them and then all of a sudden there telling me what i told them in the first place i dont know im just gonna have to speak to my mum and try and persuade her to let me have her back

I was going to ask how old you where, your an adult , your over 18 you have your own place, many people have house buns in flats, so she cannot stop you from having your pet, they have no right to stop you getting her back

I have to agree with everyone else here that you are an adult and you need to be assertive in this case. But then again it sounds like your mum has some kind of hold over you or you are very eager to keep her on side?

There is no way ANYONE could tell me I can't have my own rabbit back! I would take her back if it was me!

I really hope you put your foot down *sending hugs*

im hopefully seeing my mum tommorrow, my mum and dad are very strong willed and i know not to push them because they will make the decision for me , im just going to explain to her that i can give her what she needs i done it before, im not giving up on lola as its not fair i rescued her from someone that never let her out. when i was younger i had a french lop and i had no idea what happend but my dad got rid of her and dont know where. but hope my mum can see which she sure will when i try explain everything to her

I'm torn with this. She is your bunny, you clearly love her and are doing your best for her. I have 4 indoor buns, have had all my buns inside with me since I was 15 so I could spend more time with them. I agree with what others have said that if she goes outdoors with your nan or someone else who is not too bothered with her, she is definitely better off indoors with you. What's so great about being outside anyway? It's cold, wet, windy in winter (and summer here!) and on rare occasions, boiling hot. Then you have the risk of predators getting at her outside and frightening her to death even if they can't physically get at her. So I agree that she is much better off with you and they should hand her over to you as you are an adult now and she is your bunny.

But I am not that much older than you - 23 - and also live in my own place, job etc, but I still toe the line with my dad and step mum as I am programmed to seek their approval. I'm just beginning to stand up for myself and go against their wishes if it's something I care about - like a pet for example - and they have surprised me by not making a fuss and going, "you're an adult now, we're always here for you, but we don't care what you do, it's your life". This was a conversation we had on Saturday and I tested them by showing them my tattoo and they never batted an eyelid (these are people who have previously said tattooed people make themselves unemployable). And they were quite sad that I admitted if they'd not said that first, I'd have never told them out of fear. Families are complicated, and its easy for us to sit here going "tell them where to stick it and insist she is returned to you" without knowing the back story and your family history.

All I will say is that I hope you can stand up for yourself and Lola as it would be such a shame if you lost her when you obviously love her, but I understand it could be tricky if there is something going on that we don't know about.

PS, my mum sold my rabbit behind my back when I was on holiday when I was 15 - her reasoning was we were moving into a flat (she was an indoor bunny anyway!! And my dad had already agreed to take her to his house so my step brothers and sister could look after her and I'd see her when I stayed with them. Everyone's happy. I just found out from my grandma on Sunday that she actually did it so they couldn't have her. "She was my rabbit and not going to those other children." Yeah, so she went to another family and I never saw her again.... ooooo I'm fuming just thinking of it :censored:)

I'm torn with this. She is your bunny, you clearly love her and are doing your best for her. I have 4 indoor buns, have had all my buns inside with me since I was 15 so I could spend more time with them. I agree with what others have said that if she goes outdoors with your nan or someone else who is not too bothered with her, she is definitely better off indoors with you. What's so great about being outside anyway? It's cold, wet, windy in winter (and summer here!) and on rare occasions, boiling hot. Then you have the risk of predators getting at her outside and frightening her to death even if they can't physically get at her. So I agree that she is much better off with you and they should hand her over to you as you are an adult now and she is your bunny.

But I am not that much older than you - 23 - and also live in my own place, job etc, but I still toe the line with my dad and step mum as I am programmed to seek their approval. I'm just beginning to stand up for myself and go against their wishes if it's something I care about - like a pet for example - and they have surprised me by not making a fuss and going, "you're an adult now, we're always here for you, but we don't care what you do, it's your life". This was a conversation we had on Saturday and I tested them by showing them my tattoo and they never batted an eyelid (these are people who have previously said tattooed people make themselves unemployable). And they were quite sad that I admitted if they'd not said that first, I'd have never told them out of fear. Families are complicated, and its easy for us to sit here going "tell them where to stick it and insist she is returned to you" without knowing the back story and your family history.

All I will say is that I hope you can stand up for yourself and Lola as it would be such a shame if you lost her when you obviously love her, but I understand it could be tricky if there is something going on that we don't know about.

PS, my mum sold my rabbit behind my back when I was on holiday when I was 15 - her reasoning was we were moving into a flat (she was an indoor bunny anyway!! And my dad had already agreed to take her to his house so my step brothers and sister could look after her and I'd see her when I stayed with them. Everyone's happy. I just found out from my grandma on Sunday that she actually did it so they couldn't have her. "She was my rabbit and not going to those other children." Yeah, so she went to another family and I never saw her again.... ooooo I'm fuming just thinking of it :censored:)

thank you and everyone else that have replied to my thread , this is the exact case , my mum and dad have two dogs and three cats and live in the countryside , my parents dont want her in the garden, they want her to go to a rescue but im sure there full to the top with animals that have been dumped and i dont want her to go there eventhough i know they will look after her so well, just going to have to fight for her , i was on the phone to my mum sunday and was trying to sort a solution, and she was like we cant decide on the phone , so hopefully we are going to meet up and talk it out , explain to her that before they had her she was perfectly fine in the flat, i think im just worrying about it too much and its getting to me

How awful. :(

Parents don't always know best. I know that the feeling that as they're your parents you feel like you need their approval to be OK with the situation (that's what I feel like anyway). But don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and do what you feel is right.

My husband and I lived with my parents for 2 years with Ash. My dad used to tell me that I was starving her because I didn't give her an unlimited amount of pellets, that she didn't need to go to the vet for her dental issues because they don't know what they're talking about and are just trying to make money, when we had to syringe feed her after a dental once he shouted at us claiming we were stressing her out, tried to stop me going to the vets with her once when she went into stasis.... He used to feed her secretly while I was at work sometimes so I'd get home and have to clean her messy bum. OMG. It was the cause of many arguments but I knew I was in the right so I always stuck up for what I believed was best for her.

Sorry for the rant, this has brought back memories. :evil::evil:

ETA: Forgot to mention that if they ever looked after Ash and Bailey when we were on holiday or something (although my in laws look after them now because I know they will take care of them properly) and my dad said that I couldn't have them back I would just go round there and take them back. I'm an adult and won't be dictated to by someone who has no idea how to care for another living creature, even if they are a parent.

Last edited:
Back