• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw/warmth help please

Carley

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

Okay, my two buns are outside after being house buns for just over a year. They have been living outside for a little while now and have a fleece blanket on top of a bath mat in the bed area upstairs in the hutch which always feels toasty when I put my hand in. I have left the other areas of the floor bare wood and they have their litter tray stuffed with hay downstairs. There is another small bedroom bit downstairs in the hutch which I have put card board in but they don't really use it. They have a run attached and we have boarded off underneath the run so the buns have access to under there as well.

I have a bag of straw and am wondering if I should be using this now it's getting colder. I don't want the buns to start peeing everywhere though as they are really good with their tray but will wee where there is hay so I assume they will do the same with straw. They have not had straw before so maybe I shouldn't judge the buns unfairly! Maybe I could stuff their pet carrier with straw and put it in the run but then it may get wet? I would also appreciate any advice on keeping the buns warmer.

It was so much easier when they were indoors but due to having internal building work done Matilda and Kyle were outside and loved it :) they have a new confidence which is great to see :)

Thanks in advance

If they are litter trained they shouldn't start peeing over straw if you put it elsewhere, or are you saying they pee on hay if you put that outside their litter trays too? I wouldn't have thought straw in the run would be great as it will get damp and that'll just make them colder.

Re the warmth, lots of straw (if you can, if not hay is fine), blankets or old towels. Are they in together? If so they will help keep each other warm. A snugglesafe is a very good investment, you put them in the microwave and they stay waem for several hours. Other than that, as long as they are healthy they should be fine. I always worry about the cold but in reality they struggle much more in the heat than they do in the cold.

Thanks for the reply. Yes they will wee on hay outside the litter tray! Funny little things. Matilda and Kyle are together... Well ... Inseparable more like! Bless them.

Thanks for the reassurance :) I will try straw if we get really desperate but may just stick to blankets and towels for now as they don't tend to wee on those.

Back