• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm the worst person..

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Ever :cry:

I cried so much earlier, I have cut Poppy :cry:

My bf was being funny with a bag of chocolate buttons yesterday and they ended up all over the floor. No problem, I picked them up. Turns out I missed one and Poppy found it later that evening :( I tried to get it but only managed to get half of it and it was a giant one.

With any of the others it would be a simple case of no food and just hay.. But with Poppy she can't eat hay.. So I knew it wouldn't be good :(

Today I picked her up to check her bum and it was terrible, the worst it's been for years :cry: I cleaned her up the best I could but she kicked out and I cut her :cry: It looked worse at the time than it is but I feel like such an evil person.. If I looked a bit harder I would have seen the button on the floor. I cleaned the wound and put some corn flower on it which stopped the bit of bleeding, it's a small cut but going to take her to the vets.

I also gave her some metacam and my bf rang the vets to make an appointment for tomorrow morning as soon as they open.

She's still a bit messy but going to ask our vet if she can clean her up. She's got some poo on her feet too :(

She's currently asleep having a dream, she's acting as though nothing has happened and I'm checking her bum and cut every hour. She has managed to clean some off herself but as she has very little teeth and is a bit portly because of her diet, it's harder for her to do :(

She's my special little queen and I hurt her :cry:

Don't worry, she'll forgive you straight away :)
I'm sure we've all had little mistakes/accidents with our bunnies, Alfie was dropped on a table once before :shock: and he still gave me licks after.

Hope her bums better tomorrow :)

Please don't beat yourself up, it was an accident! I accidentally cut Nahla's quick once when she jumped as I was clipping her nails, and it makes you feel awful. You've sorted it out and done everything right, don't blame yourself. You weren't to know that she'd squirm around right as you were trying to clean her up. As for leaving stuff on the floor, I once found one of my mecaptopurine pills on the floor (they use it to treat crohns which I have, but it's very strong and can be used for leukaemia!) and any of the bunnies could have found it before me. Could honestly happen to any of us xx

Don't beat yourself up too much!

It was an accident and you were only trying to help her. And you're taking her to the vets as soon as possible, so I'm sure she'll be right again soon. *hugs*

Out of curiosity, why can't she have hay?

Please dont feel bad. Accidents happen. You were trying to help.
If it makes you feel better(i could make a massive list!) i dropped Lola when i first got her, she has eaten one of my pills, eaten garlic that i dropped on the floor.
We have all done things wrong to our buns but the still love us.
Give her extra cuddles. x

Thanks everyone :( My bf said I've done well over the past 3 years for not doing something like this before today. He said it would have happened eventually. She's been grooming my pyjamas after every check I've been doing, then runs off flicking her paws at me so I think she has a level of annoyance with me about that!

I have done it before but she never bled, I was just trying to cut some poo off her fur but couldn't really see because of the poo on her skin (her belly is shaved so poo doesn't stick to her) which I should have wiped off first :( I must have pulled her fur and that's why she stomped and kicked and I cut her :(

My bf holds her in a low, upright position so it can be awkward but she's never that messy. It's usually a bit of poo on her fur so this was new territory for me :(

It's not that she can't have hay, she always has hay but she can't eat it. She never really has in her 6 years, even though she tries. Bad breeding :( Her teeth don't line up at all and she only has 3 teeth now I think, not sure. She manages to keep dentals to a minimum with her current diet though so she's doing pretty good, she has mature SS as it's the only stuff she can eat and she has a small/medium handful in the morning and a small handful at night, depends how much she actually eats so we gauge it on that :)

Last edited:
It was an accident, that makes you definitely not a bad person!! Rabbits have stupidly thin skin that bleeds even with really really small cuts so just because it's bled doesn't mean it's really bad or deep or even painful. You've done everything right since and she will forget so quickly, in fact she probably has forgotten already!! I remember when I accidentally cut Harvey's nail too short and it just bled and bled, I was devastated, but it was a genuine accident and he forgot so quickly, as soon as I got some herbs out for him :roll:

I know you feel awful, I cut one of Rosie's nails too short once and it bled and I once cried when I accidentally trod on Ted's paw :cry::cry::cry: I'm sure they know that we're not hurting them on purpose though.

Just a thought if she gets pooey like that again, would it be easier to wash her bum? We once went to help a friend who's bunny was in a right state and we had to give her back end a really good wash. The water softens the poo (you might have to work it in with your nails :mrgreen: ) but it all came off eventually and we gave her a really good dry and she was right as rain. Something to consider if that would be possible?

As others have said. Accidents happen. You obviously really love her and I am sure she knows that. x

Just a thought if she gets pooey like that again, would it be easier to wash her bum? We once went to help a friend who's bunny was in a right state and we had to give her back end a really good wash. The water softens the poo (you might have to work it in with your nails :mrgreen: ) but it all came off eventually and we gave her a really good dry and she was right as rain. Something to consider if that would be possible?

I did think that, she never gets 'wet' poops so never needed to before but will bare it in mind, I read about towels in the sink so they don't slip about too. She's a really good girl so I think she'd be okay with it, hopefully we won't have to but maybe it would be nicer for her rather than going to the vets for a shave.

I used cotton wool stuff to get some of the damp poo off and that worked but had to stop because of cutting her and I didn't want to stress her out any longer. Going to try again tomorrow before the vets, see if I can clean it up a bit more.

She's being a bit of a monkey now, jumping on the bed and doing some bunny 500's and binkies:)

DSC_0441_zps25fc432b.jpg

I did think that, she never gets 'wet' poops so never needed to before but will bare it in mind, I read about towels in the sink so they don't slip about too. She's a really good girl so I think she'd be okay with it, hopefully we won't have to but maybe it would be nicer for her rather than going to the vets for a shave.

I used cotton wool stuff to get some of the damp poo off and that worked but had to stop because of cutting her and I didn't want to stress her out any longer. Going to try again tomorrow before the vets, see if I can clean it up a bit more.

She's being a bit of a monkey now, jumping on the bed and doing some bunny 500's and binkies:)

DSC_0441_zps25fc432b.jpg

she is sooo cute.

Also i have the same comfies as your oh. :love:

She's gorgeous and obviously not bothered if she's racing about :D. I find damp cotton wool totally ineffective when there's a lot of poo, but bunny botty in a bowl of warm water works wonders :D

Nice picture :)

Accidents happen, it's an easy thing to happen. You'll be forgiven, she's probably forgotten with the bum checking anyway :p I've caught Bilbo's quick before and he's such a drama queen when his nails are being cut anyway I felt terrible :(
On the flip side my boyfriend has had to take an extra wide step over Cloud before because he binkied as he stepped over him, then Pooka ran under where he was about to stand. His only option was to throw himself sideways onto the couch or he would have stood on her neck :shock: He thinks they're trying to do him in.

Aww cute pic! Don't feel bad, its happened to me when I was cutting a fur mat off my cat I cut her skin with it! I felt awful its easy to think after you should have been more careful when infact you were to begin with its just one of those things! Plus they forgive you a lot quicker than you forgive yourself! I still feel guilty now and shes been gone 6 years :(

It's an absolutely horrible feeling but we probably feel a hundred times worse than they do.

I cut the quick of one of Ren's nails on Saturday and felt absolutely awful but she didn't even mind! She just hopped off, gave it a quick lick then came right back to me!

I read that for prey animals it's more traumatising for them to be scared than hurt. You were only trying to help her and I'm sure she will be over it in no time. Better to have accidents trying to help our rabbits than leave them to get into horrible states.

Hope you and Poppy feel better soon. *hugs* xxxxx

She's gorgeous and *sarcastic* she obviously really hates you in that picture.

Seriously, it's an accident, don't feel bad she's obviously forgiven and forgotten already and you were trying to help her. You're not a bad person at all, I can think of so many worse people than you, you haven't done anything wrong

I also agree with the bathing instead - my Dexter had to have daily baths when he was I'll as he made such a mess of himself and couldn't do anything himself as he was paralysed. I found that much easier than trying to brush and cut out the tangled hair and poo.

Back