• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is she too old to be spayed?

marchi1990

Mama Doe
In June I adopted lovely Cookie with the intention of bonding her with my Woody.

After about a month I stopped trying with the bond. I think this was mainly due to my absolute fear that Woody would be injured - we had one disastrous 'penis bite'.

Anyway, recently I had to seperate two of my other buns (mother/daughter) because they started fighting after 6 years together. Neither are spayed.

They are now approx 5.5 and 5 years old. The younger one seems absolutely fine on her own but the older one is sad, lonely and quiet. It's awful to watch her because I feel so so sad.

At the age of 5.5 is it too late to consider a spay? I would really love to attempt to bond her with Woody. I think if I were to go ahead I would ask somebody else to help me with the bond.

If they're healthy then I would go ahead with it, the risk of uterine cancer is too high tbh. I had my sneezy 4 year old spayed and she was fine. She took 2 weeks to recover but she licked her wound open!

I forgot to mention that she is in good health. I think I am going to seriously consider it. I would love to see them together. Poor girl with her wound!!

Definitely not too old. The sooner they can be spayed the better, with the increased cancer risk. Good luck xx

I dont think she is too old,BUT given the history of the sudden aggression in a long standing bond I would ask for pre op bloods to be taken. Sometimes aggression can be the early warning sign of something being 'not right' health wise.

I dont think she is too old,BUT given the history of the sudden aggression in a long standing bond I would ask for pre op bloods to be taken. Sometimes aggression can be the early warning sign of something being 'not right' health wise.

Thank you Jane.

Some would be perfectly fine being spayed at that age, but personally, I wouldn't. Ailsa is between 5 and 6, and I adopted her with her last owner saying she had adopted her as spayed. However I'm pretty sure she hasn't been. Still, at her age, I'm not willing to put her through it. She's bonded with 2 neutered males just fine.

Back