• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam - urgent help please - Also emperid / metoclop

Rupert & Tia

Mama Doe
I picked rupert up from his dental last night at 6, he was unsteady on his feet, but ate pellets and did a few poops, he's eating pellets and small amonts of hay today and has done 100 poops since 5pm tonight, so he's feeling a little better...

My question is... on thursday i was given metacam for him (dog - 1.5 mg/ml) and was told to give him 0.3ml once a day.
Yesterday I was told to give him 13 drops every 6 hours - but reading around, the dosage is every 12 hours! :shock: im abit worried that im overdosing him!

Please someone help. the vet is closed now.

is emperid the same as metoclopramide??

I was given metoclop at emergency vet (dosage 0.4ml) but then given emperid 1.1 ml to give him...... can't get him to take emperid so just been giving him metoclop, can i give him more than 0.4? i phoned vet this morning but they said 'oh, i would stick with 0.4' dont think i was speaking to a vet..

i may be over tired so over worrying, but someone tell me metacam is ok 6 hourly?! gave him his last dose (13 drops) at 4pm tonight.

Yep Emperid is Metoclopramide.

Not sure on dose, there isn't one set one it varies. Posting his weight would help some with know-how work out if it's within the norm.

If you're worried, you can always call the vet and double check :)

Are you getting muddled with the Metacam/Metaclopromide ?

Metaclopramide is the same as Emeprid- it can be given every 6-8 hours

Metacam is usually given either every 12 hours or every 24 hours

A one off 'overdose' is unlikely to cause longterm harm. I would contact the Vet though as it might be a good idea to give Rupert some Ranitidine (Zantac) for a few days to protect his stomach from ulceration. Some subcutaneous fluids may be useful too, just for 24 hours.

Thank you. He is 2.2kg.

I didn't get mixed up, I have three bottles, one is metoclopramide - it says 0.4mls every 6 hours. Emperid says 1.1ml every 6 hours. Metacam says 0.2ml once a day. but i was given the emperid and metacam on thursday to set up a medicine cabinet for when his gas starts again.

I got muddled because the discharge sheet from his dental on friday says emperid 1.1ml every 6 hours and metacam 13 drops every 6 hours...

I gave him 5 drops of metacam last night as the emergency vet couldn't comment :roll:

He looked brighter this morning, was eating hay when i opened shed, then spent half an hour eating grass, i gave him some pellets and he ate that too.

I gave him 0.4ml of metoclopramide this morning but no metacam.

There must be some difference between emperid and metoclopramide cos he runs away from the emperid but loves the metoclopramide, (i was given the metoclop by a differnt vet) so on his apt tomoro im going to ask for metoclop for his cabinet not emperid. I couldn't understand the huge difference in dose (0.4 metoclop and 1.1 emperid).

I think i was over tired last night and was overthinking it all. He seemed so sleepy and tired and just not himself. but i read that it can take 48 hours or so for them to get used to the new feeling in their mouths after dental.

i wasn't told to give metacam with food either with i think is disgusting! i will be having words with the vet for not telling me that!!!!!

If it helps put your mind at rest I used to give Doughnut who is just over 1kg 0.5ml of metaclop syrup three times a day. I have now dropped it down to 0.5ml twice a day. She loves it, maybe the emperid isn't sweetened?

I don't know about drops for metacam, Doughnut has always had it in ml. At one point I was giving her 0.2ml three times a day and sometimes an extra dose. I know metacam is better given in smaller doses more often than a higher dose daily. This is because by the time the bunny has a dose 24 hours later the metacam has already left it's system. That's why I was told to give Doughnut another dose just before I went to bed so it would last the night.

I was told that when they inject metaclop it is a lot higher dose than the 0.5ml

Hope this puts what you are giving him into context.

Last edited:
ahhh thank you that makes sense, i cant get the metacam to drop into a small syringe, so ive been dropping it into the metacam syringe and it barely touches the line so maybe thats what they've done - told me to give him smaller more frequent doses. The metoclop def smells sweeter than the emperid, probably why he likes it so much but ive hardly got any left. im still giving him the metoclop. he is turning into a little addict, he grabbed the metacam box and wouldn't let go last night! he loves his medicine! :shock:

Back