• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do nice people do stupid things?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Sorry but have to let this out...
Went on a visit today. When I arrived I noticed a hutch in the garden, I went straight over and peeped in. Two little guinea pigs popped their heads out of the sleeping compartment. But before I could say 'ahh two little guinea pigs' I noticed a dry green water bottle and a carrot half black going rotten!!! There was also a bowl of guinea pig muesli so I know they had something to eat but for gods sake, no water and a rotten carrot! And no hay.
I cleaned the water bottle as best i could and filled it up, and threw away the carrot. I'm going to take a bag of hay round and just say that my bunnies have gone off it and would they like it for the guinea pigs and I'll try and make a point of saying how important hay is.
These are nice people, not people who would deliberately hurt an animal, but why do this? Why neglect them? Neglect is hurting them. I feel saddened:(

Maybe print off some guinea pig care leaflets and give them to whoever owns the piggies.

I hate when animals are bought, left in a hutch in the garden and pretty much forgotten about :(

I have the same problem with my Aunty. She has a pair of boars that constantly fight and are kept in the tiniest, most awful hutch ever. When they stayed here for a bit, I cleaned up both pigs (one if long haired and desperately needed a bath), gave them 2 separate boxes to sit in, gave them a big hutch to explore (although they were so terrified that they never left their safe places) and gave them hay. I explained about the hutch and their run being far too small and was probably why they were fighting so much. I know that it went in one ear and out the other. :(

:(

I don't think I have anything I can add... People just do what they do I guess. Usually a combo of lack of research/time.

At least they have you and been given a gentle nudge in the right direction. :thumb:

Back