• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, Dougnut has suddenly raced around, really chomping on her teeth.

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I think something has frightened her but she is making the most awful noise from her throat and stamping her foot. Raced around and is really chomping on her teeth. Never seen her do this. What is the strange noise, and chomping.

I can't hear anything but she can and seems scared.

She has calmed down a bit now, nothing stuck in her throat. I thought that but I've given her a bit of muesli to take her mind off it and put the tv on and she seems better now.

It sounded a bit like when she was chased by the fox, it's from the throat and sort of the noise that we would make if we were whimpering.

She was really chomping her teeth, I've never seen that before.

Her ears are still very pricked up though and she's sniffing.

I've suddenly got the tv on loud.

She seems OK while she's eating, no more stamping or racing round. It was definitely something that frightened her.

My heart is still racing, she's now laid down.

Last edited:
My first thought was choking also. Julie would race around and make a strange noise from her throat but then mucus would start to poor out.
You mentioned that she was once chased by a fox? Was thst recent? Could she be reliving that or msybe she smells or hears one? Rabbits have kneen senses.

Sounds a lot like what Bella does when she gets really frightened, she makes an awful whimpering noise while she thumps. I never know what triggers it, it just happens seemingly out of the blue. Then she stops and goes back to her normal self again. Taking her mind off it with treats and strokes usually works as well.

My first thought was choking also. Julie would race around and make a strange noise from her throat but then mucus would start to poor out.
You mentioned that she was once chased by a fox? Was thst recent? Could she be reliving that or msybe she smells or hears one? Rabbits have kneen senses.

It was a year ago, she was in her enclosure and I looked out and there was a massive fox up at her enclosure. She was still. I rushed out and chased it away and she just flung herself at the bars. I got her in and she was stamping and making the whimpering sound, but louder than she did this time. It's like when we are sobbing and can't get our breath.

Sometimes she stamps but I haven't ever heard that sound again before now. Also she was really chomping on her teeth. It's so frightening, I thought she was choking.

Sounds a lot like what Bella does when she gets really frightened, she makes an awful whimpering noise while she thumps. I never know what triggers it, it just happens seemingly out of the blue. Then she stops and goes back to her normal self again. Taking her mind off it with treats and strokes usually works as well.

Yes treats normally work with Doughnut and strokes, I can tell she was on major alert with her ears and sniffing. She's all stretched out now. I'm still shaken.

I wouldn't worry too much if she's calmed down. It sounds like she is just making a noise that says "Danger!!" All my bunnies make a very odd noise, kind of sounding like "Grrrrumph!" and at the end of the noise they thump very loudly. They perceive a threat, but usually I never find out what it is. :roll: Xena has been doing it tonight because my parents are decorating and are scraping the paper off the ceiling in the living room, which is the floor of my bedroom. I put some music on loudly and she has calmed down and is eating her hay now. :)

It does sound like a choking noise though.

God knows what the neighbours think with the TV so loud but it seems to have done the trick. She's jumped in her litter tray now, so harmony has been restored.

Glad all is harmonious again. Snowflake used to thump and wimper when Frosty fought him (during their hormonal time). It was a pityful sound :(. Poor Doughnut. Hope you are feeling more relaxed now.

matt used to do that if he heard something outside like a cat or fox. it was like a 'growl' almost, like deep from the throat. he did it as he thumped. used to scare me to death!

Yes it was deep in the throat. I would say I'm pleased others have heard this sound but it is awful that I don't wish it on anyone. The thumping I can deal with!

Did anyone's bun grind their teeth as well. She was chomping really quickly!

Yes it was deep in the throat. I would say I'm pleased others have heard this sound but it is awful that I don't wish it on anyone. The thumping I can deal with!

Did anyone's bun grind their teeth as well. She was chomping really quickly!

not the chomping no. could she have felt something get caught in her mouth and react scared and then the chomping was her trying to get it out? sounds scary anyway. :shock:

not the chomping no. could she have felt something get caught in her mouth and react scared and then the chomping was her trying to get it out? sounds scary anyway. :shock:

Not sure as her ears were all pricked up and she was sniffing, so thought she had heard something.

Back