• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tapla - stasis

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Tapla wasn't eating last night at about 9.30-10pm, so I rang one vet (then another, when their advice was a bit pants) and gave her metacam and syringe feeding on their advice. She hadn't perked up after an hour, so they advised me to bring her in and she had metaclop at 12ish. I checked on her about 4am and then about 7.30 but she wasn't interested in food at all. I syringe fed her again at 7.30. I'm taking her in at 8.50 for an emergency appointment for more metaclop, and she also needs more painkillers as she was still grinding her teeth in the night.

There was no sign of bloat when I took her in last night, just hoping that's still the case.

:(

Poor Tapla, I hope she will be feeling better soon.
(((((((((((((((Sending healing vibes and prayers)))))))))))))) xxxx

Thank you everyone for your well wishes , I'm very worried :;
any news? vibes for tapla.

Tapla had some more metaclop this morning but according to my mom she's no better . I'm just about to head home and give her some pineapple but it looks like shell have to be admitted :(

Just a bit of a better update as I was on my phone before.

Vets last night didn't feel any gas but didn't feel any bloat or blockage either. Vet this morning felt some gas but no blockage or bloat. She had more metaclop this morning and the vet said to give her pineapple, continue syringe feeding/watering and see how she is this afternoon/evening. She's just had some more recovery food and lots of pineapple so I'm hoping that'll get things moving. I'll probably let N&T out for a run around in about an hour to see if that gets her belly moving at all. The vet said if she's not improved by tonight she needs an x-ray. :(

Poor girl :cry:

Has she poo'd at all since last night ?

I wasn't sure until recently, but now there's been two separate occasions where I've been pretty convinced that it's her poo (she's stood by a pile that wasn't there before, and they're a bit smaller/harder/deformed). So now I'm pretty confident that she is passing poop. She is passing wee definitely, she's weed on my counter top twice! The vets did ask about poo, but then also went on to advise that separating her would probably stress her out and do more harm than good.

The pineapple I gave her earlier hasn't had any effect as of yet. She didn't want to run around in the garden at all - she kept going back into the shed despite me plonking her outside and encouraging her. I've been on the phone with the vets twice today and they've advised to see what she's like after a run around and then ring back, so I'm going to ring back shortly. Not quite sure what to expect when I take her in. I think I have heard of peoples bunnies having to have metaclop for a series of days to get through stasis, but I'm not really sure. The previous times that N&T had it, they bounced back quickly.

Very worried :(

Usually fluid therapy (IV or subcutaneous as well as oral) is extremely beneficial.

A blood glucose test would be a good idea too

Hope she starts to respond to treatment soon xx

Thanks everyone. Just got back, it took ages! I got there just as two small dogs were brought in who'd been attacked by a rottweiler, so I had to wait an hour for them to have emergency treatment to stabilise them a little.

The vet (who's a different one to the last 2) was happy that the gut sounds normal, there's no blockage or bloat, the abdomen is relaxed and it's not too painful to manhandle her. She's also not even remotely dehydrated so they're happy with her right now. She's doing fairly normal poos - a bit smaller than usual and a bit harder, but nothing that I would be concerned about if I saw them in the litter tray. So he's given her zantac, metaclopromide, and much more metacam (1ml rather than 0.4ml). I'm to keep syringing through the night - in his words 'it's all down to the nursing'! He said to bring her back in the morning for more zantac and metaclopromide if she's not 100%.

Another long night :( My poor baby. Thank you for all of your well wishes.

Last edited:
Hopefully Tapla will be feeling alot better in the morning. I give Mr B a large dose of metacam too, find it helps rather than the smaller amount.

Sending you a hug too. xxx

Oh I do hope she'll be feeling more herself in the morning. :love:
Sorry it's another sleepless one for you though. I hope you can catch up once she's better. :)

More ((((((((((((((((back to normal vibes)))))))))))))))) for Tapla. xxxx

Back