• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny brushing

Karen's

Mama Doe
Help.... How on earth do people with outdoor bunnies manage to brush them?
One of mine has some matted fur so i want to try and brush them but getting them to sit still for more than two seconds is impossible! I can manage a couple of brushes but then they hop off, and I may have to wait ages for them to hop back near me again.
There not cuddly buns that I can pick up and put on my knee so I'm trying to do it while there in the run, but the run is huge and if I try and follow them they invariably will decide to go back into the hutch via the runaround pipe, so once again I'm left 'billy no mates' sat in the bunny run holding the brush!
Any tips gratefully received :?

I normally do it at feeding time. Start off small just with a few quick brushes and over time you might be able to build ot up.

Though if it is really matted you might have to bring them inside as a one off to get it properly sorted?

I put my buns on top of a house they have in their enclosure.
I put them on a towel with a few tasty herbs or veg in front of them.
Using my left hand on their chest to steady them I brush with my right.
Doing this often for a short period of time regularly seems to do the trick.
Mine are not snuggle buns but love a nose rub & a bit of a fuss so food bribery seems to suit them.
I think being elevated on a non slip surface helps them not to move too.

Back