• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HEP PLEASE!! (rabbit foot problem)

ammar

Young Bun
My rabbit is suffering this thing :( what is it please help how can i treat it ?

( please don't ask or advise me for the vet..m sorry to say :/ )

7885891380916528.jpeg

7885891380916493.jpeg

I'm sorry but it's dangerouse for us to prescribe a illness and meds. Know one can be 100% sure without a examination and further tests if need be.

Sorry but why would you like us to not suggest the vet? I've never seen anything like this before but it doesn't look like the kind of thing that would get better without appropriate vet treatment.

From previous posts by the OP I think they live abroad in a Country where rabbits are not routinely kept as pets and vets are not very easy to locate.

Just read some of your previous threads. Jacks Jane is very intelligent when it comes to rabbit illnesses. You could put her name in the title. I'm sure she will be happy to try and help :)

Just read some of your previous threads. Jacks Jane is very intelligent when it comes to rabbit illnesses. You could put her name in the title. I'm sure she will be happy to try and help :)

This, sorry I personally have no idea, I hope Jane or someone else with knowledge can help you. Best of luck and well done for always posting on here, you clearly love your rabbits and always try for them and your situation where you are unable to get a vet must be very distressing for you. Xx

It looks like a skin parasite eg mange or mites, but it could also be fungal. Usually you'd get a vet to do a skin scrap and look under a microscope and they could see if there was any bugs there and if so which. Do you have any access to a microscope or someone with one?

If not I think the only option is to try treatment and see which works.

Ivermectin or selamectin would definitely be a good place to start. They are used on various animals including cats/dog/live stock so you might be able to get some via somewhere that supplies farms. I think it's sometimes used on people to so it would be worth trying a pharmacy as well.

The doses depend on the concentration of the particular product you get so once you've found a supply we can help you calculate how much to use.

It looks like a skin parasite eg mange or mites, but it could also be fungal. Usually you'd get a vet to do a skin scrap and look under a microscope and they could see if there was any bugs there and if so which. Do you have any access to a microscope or someone with one?

If not I think the only option is to try treatment and see which works.

Ivermectin or selamectin would definitely be a good place to start. They are used on various animals including cats/dog/live stock so you might be able to get some via somewhere that supplies farms. I think it's sometimes used on people to so it would be worth trying a pharmacy as well.

The doses depend on the concentration of the particular product you get so once you've found a supply we can help you calculate how much to use.

thanks for the concern tamsin,, yeah i can get access to microscope, there are laboratories near my home,,n yes i can easily get this drug too (ivermactin)..now please let me know what to do

Two options - you can try the skin scrap and look under the microscope but it doesn't always show mites even if they are there or you can just go ahead and try treating with Ivermectin and see if it improves.

If you get hold of the ivermectin and let us know the concentration (it will be on the packet) and your rabbit's weight we can help you calculate the dose. It's usually given as three doses a week apart.

Two options - you can try the skin scrap and look under the microscope but it doesn't always show mites even if they are there or you can just go ahead and try treating with Ivermectin and see if it improves.

If you get hold of the ivermectin and let us know the concentration (it will be on the packet) and your rabbit's weight we can help you calculate the dose. It's usually given as three doses a week apart.

thankyou Tamsin... i found a vet who is actually cat speciallist...i tell him all what u say,,he inject ivermactin 0.3 mg per kg ...he will do it after 14 DAYS AGAIN..please suggest some lotion or creame or any thing to apply on the wounds

Well done, that's excellent :) It's usually repeated after 7 days. With 2-3 doses in total.

I know it looks sore but I think if you put cream on it will just encourage him to lick/chew it and that will make it worse. It's probably best to just leave it. You should see it getting better within a week if it is mites that is the problem.

That's great that you were able to find a vet that would help you out. I hope your bun is feeling better soon.

Well done, that's excellent :) It's usually repeated after 7 days. With 2-3 doses in total.

I know it looks sore but I think if you put cream on it will just encourage him to lick/chew it and that will make it worse. It's probably best to just leave it. You should see it getting better within a week if it is mites that is the problem.

I thought that it should be given every 14 days for 3-4 treatments, because of the life cycle of the mite. Is every 7 days better, and will 3 weeks of treatment be enough to cover enough of the mites life cycle to clear it up without it returning?

I thought that it should be given every 14 days for 3-4 treatments, because of the life cycle of the mite. Is every 7 days better, and will 3 weeks of treatment be enough to cover enough of the mites life cycle to clear it up without it returning?

It looks like there is various opinions on the subject from 7 days to 14: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ivermectin.htm

It's a long time since I've had a bun with mites, but the 3 x 7 days used to clear it up, I imagine both ways probably work, they don't seem particularly stubborn to kill off.

So, 14 days sounds like it would be fine too :)

Yeah :)

thanks again,,,Big thanks :)
i will let u know the progress

Back