• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie is having another dental on Monday!/ UD/ Home and doing really well!

smellinor

Young Bun
It's become such a regular thing now. Alfie has had molar spikes for years, at first he would stop eating, but now he carries on eating but shows some signs of his teeth playing up such as licking his lips and yawning quite a lot. Took him to the vets today and he has razor sharp small dental spikes and large ones on the other side. Spoke to the vets also about how he seemed to keep mouth breathing and checked him over again thoroughly and said there was nothing to worry about and he was doing it out of discomfort. I am very glad the vets know him so well as he's booked in Monday as he's still eating like a trooper! They said they're on call if we need them though.

I've tried everything to try and reduce this happening but he still seems to get them at the very least every 6 months!

UD: He came home Tuesday, after having the op in the morning. At first he was really wobbly and wouldn't eat so they syringe fed him and after that he wouldn't stop eating! He's definitely perked up in himself now, hopped round the garden rather than just sitting like he was doing before! Thanks for all the kind wishes for him :)

Last edited:
My Woody has a very similar problem - molar spurs - but unfortunately needs a dental every 2 weeks like clock work.

I have tried everything but nothing improves it.

I do hope that Alfie makes a speedy recovery.

every two weeks? That must cost you so much! and poor bunny having to go through all that so often

I've been told give him more hay, try things he can chew on. I've done all that, nothing seems to help but we were also said it could be due to poor breeding.

Thankyou! It's always a nerve wracking time, he's been upped to ketamine to put him to sleep since the normal anaesthetic didn't work last time

Good luck on monday. Hope Alfie comes through it well and is eating again very soon. Mottle had 2 spurs on his lower molars. They want to see him every eight weeks. Its quite a major thing for them isnt it? - and for us...

Thankyou! Poor Mottle every 8 weeks must be stressful for him

Alfie has been eating non stop the last couple of days, it amazes me that he doesn't seem to show any sort of pain or discomfort other than the yawning and funny mouth movements! He's either very brave with the pain or is really greedy! He's had a tooth removed before (which the vet didn't tell us until he needed another dental about a month later!) but I'm hoping he doesn't keep getting them, the poor thing having to go through all the stress...and me too!!

Tooth problems can and often are down to genetics.

Ash has to have dentals as well every 4 months or so, I think I find it as traumatic as she does. :lol:

That does make sense because I've tried everything to try and stop it happening so often but still he keeps getting them!

I've been told to pack a little overnight bag for him with his own food and treats so he recovers quicker, it makes me sad carting him off like that, but I know he'll feel a lot better for having the op! He puts me through a lot! :lol:

Back