• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Smudge has snuffles - advice about what to ask vet

Suzyjo

Warren Scout
:( Just been sat with them and smudge did a couple of really loud sneezes, had a look at her nose and there's a white discharge around it..

So got her booked in to see the vet at 4:30, I was just wondering if there was anything in particular I need to make sure they do? Like nasal swabs or something?

Last edited:
Unless a deep nasal swab is taken then they can give misleading results. Sedation is often required in order to obtain a deep nasal swab

I would expect the Vet to do a thorough examination including listening to Smudge's lungs and heart, check his teeth,eyes and ears ('Snuffles' can involve ear infection too, especially in lops), check his temperature, palpate his abdomen and weigh him. Usually a course of Baytril or Septrin (antibiotics) are prescribed. The course needs to be for at least 7 days, possibly longer. A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam may also be prescribed. If there is evidence of a lot of congestion a Mucolytic such as Bisolvon may be useful to thin out the mucus.

Back