• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you tell if a bunny is...

catherine09

Mama Doe
Going to be uppy eared or lop eared at 16 weeks? At what point do they usually lop and can you tell by the size/shape whether they will or not?

TIA :D

Last edited:
I got a photo of my mini lop at 4-5 weeks n shes uppy eared by the time I got her at 8 and a half weeks she had lopped

I assume you can if they're a purebred, but Charlie is a lionlop and didn't lop for a long time! He was over a year old before he fully lopped. He was uppy eared as a baby, then helecoptor for months and then went lop and has stayed lop. He does pick his ears up now and then if he's confused though!

That's too cute, I would have loved to have seen the helecopter bun!

I've only had experience with purebred. Well not purebread exactly but always lop/lop or straight/straight crosses.

Do they ever go the other way and start out lop and end straight?

This is his between phase :lol:

2919_70200665501_749173_n.jpg

I have a mini lop and mini lion lop and both had lopped by 4 weeks. (I saw pictures, obviously didn't have them myself then)

Samantha is 7 months and still can't decide if she's going to lop like her sister or not. Mostly not, sometimes helicopter-y but sometimes I think she copies!

It'll be to do with the width of the crown, which will change as they grow due to their head size changing, so I'm not sure if there's a definite way to tell. If they have a great deal of lop in them then the crown will be wide from birth, however in other cases it may widen as they age in the first few months, then the ears need to stretch a bit at the crown I think which causes the helicopter.

So my answer is probably not xD

Bunny is French lop/conti X, helicopter at the moment

I don't really care as I think I'll be adopting him anyway, but ideally they will lop :lol:

I was told when I got Bella that it could take up to a year for the ears to "lop", but hers never did. She's still a helicopter bun :love: Interestingly enough, the only time I ever saw her looking like a lop was when she had hurt her leg and was in a lot of pain...she looked so sad bless her.

I get an impression that pure breeds lop very early as do lops crossed with lop but Heinz 57's can lop or helicopter anytime in the 1st 6 months.
I seem to attract helicopter buns:lol: - best of both worlds.:D
Benjie is always helicopter, Thumper was uppy eared outside, helicopter indoors, & lopped both sides at the vets!:lol:

Bobby was up eared when I got him at around 8 weeks and a day later one ear came down and then he started holding his head to one side and I was beside myself with worry and about to bring him to the vet because I thought he had head tilt when the other ear came down and he regained his balance.

It was a nice little surprise because I thought he was a lion head but he turned out to be a lion lop :) and I just love lops. They hold a special place in my heart !

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Back