• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone had a male/female pet turn out to be the opposite sex?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
So erm, I took Wotsit to the vets this morning and it turns out that he is a she :lol:

Has this happened to anyone before? Did you rename the pet? Wotsit isn't a very pretty name for a girl is it :roll:

When I was little I got a cat called Mog. We rehomed him from a "rescue" (read lovely but overwhelmed guy who lived in a tiny house with about 40 dogs and 200 cats). I don't remember if we were told he was a she but mostly people called him she, he just didn't have that tom cat look. So much so that when he went to be neutered the vets (who we'd told he was a he because at some point one of us noticed his plums) shaved him up all ready for a spay before they noticed and so he had to walk around bald to add insult to his "injury" :lol:

Haha i had this happen this week too, turns out Molly is a boy, so now she is Marley :)

I like Wotsit for a boy or a girl really

I got "bella" from a breeder, hes now Alfie! Same thing happened took her to the vets and found out she was a he :D

Haha glad it's not just me! Everyone says Wotsit is a cute name and it does suit 'him' but I don't think it's a nice name for a girl :lol:

Vet sexed Bluebell as a girl, then when we went back for the 2nd vaccine was totally embarressed he'd got it wrong. We kept his name as Bluebell as it had stuck by then.

Vet sexed Bluebell as a girl, then when we went back for the 2nd vaccine was totally embarressed he'd got it wrong. We kept his name as Bluebell as it had stuck by then.

Yeah I guess Wotsit has kind of stuck. She's being spayed now, super nervous even though she's the third one I've had spayed :lol:

Yep, Boris was a Doris for the first few months of his life :lol: It wasn't until he went on holiday with his sister and got a bit naughty that we noticed he was a boy! His plums dropped quite late bless him :oops: :lol:

Then there was Fluff the hamster, I never quite knew whether he was a he or she...I think he was something in between :lol:

It's happened with Charlie (previously called Lilly), my bridge hamster Rocco (previously called Violet May), my two mice Aro and Frodo (Previously Alice and Marigold). I want girls, I never get them!

(the mice were from a rescue too, still wrong. I'm cursed :lol: )

I always change their names to something better fitting.

Yes, one of my bridge buns Stripe. It was the classic got a pair of girls from a friends litter, one day caught Stripe humping his partner Black Velvet, I remember my family was at a school fete and I ran the entire way there to tell my parents as I was so shocked. We seperated them but it was too late and she had a litter of 9 babies.

We had no reason not to suspect they couldn't sex them properly as we had no experience of bunnies and how tricky it could be back then. 20 years later we certainly know better!! Luckily she had named him something suitable for male or female, and it probably was more of a male name anyway!

My sister had some chicks and my children got to name them. Of course my daughter picked the name Daisy for what turned out to be the cockerel. Poor boy was stuck being called that for his entire life :lol:

Haha some of these stories :lol:

Just texted my OH who says I'm not allowed to change her name :lol: I originally wanted a bunny named 'Honey' so I might have to refer to her as that, and just pretend it's a nickname :p

I had this happen with a half-wildie baby rabbit I rescued - she went to be spayed and ended up being a castrated boy!

I really like Wotsit for a girl, especially if it suits her.

I've been lucky enough not to have this happen yet, although I check Pooka frequently when she was little just in case.

I bought Frosty and Snowflake from the pet shop as girls, both are boys. Luckily their names are fine. I think Wotsit is a great name, but then so is Honey!

We had a Belle (vet sexed) to then find out we really had a Buddy luckily found out when they were 14 weeks before we had any babies :)

Back