• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biggest spider I have ever seen

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
OH suddenly got up and calmly went into the kitchen then came out and was looking at the floor just in front of the TV :roll: I didn't see what he had in his hand until he put it down:shock:

This is what he caught :shock::shock:
null_zpseb25a88a.jpg

He said he didn't say anything so I wouldn't freak out :roll: he was right :lol:

I had to save my OH from one about the same size. I was trying to use a wine glass but it wouldn't fit in properly! :lol:

He left the room :roll:

I love spiders! I have so many in my house and yard. They're quite cool and useful little things. I think my favorite native spiders are banana spiders (very big) and spiny orb weavers (teeny tiny). We see a lot of both them here, they're so amazing looking. I always call the spiny orb weavers 'bowser spiders':lol:

These spiders used to hang out over my porch at night (their webs weren't there in the daytime) and you were in danger of getting a spider on your head if you didn't remember to look up! Not sure what species they are but they're cool looking and quite big.

I think they are out in force at the min. We had one in my daughters bedroom on Wednesday about the same size, it spanned the bottom of a pint glass! Yuck! Can't stand them.

***goes off to find pic***

I had one of those too a few weeks ago! Thankfully not in my house, I was babysitting :lol: Also in a pint glass :shock:

C4D15CB1-91B4-4D95-A6E9-7876F630B871-2611-000001FB32EC8843_zpsdb457ac1.jpg

7C038F45-D5C4-4969-81C4-DB53688CEDA5-2611-000001FB3C24F707_zps8d59af96.jpg

91319144-AF60-4249-9DE3-EC7CC4CD5C28-2611-000001FB42C74E8E_zps4c56da56.jpg

urgh we had one of those in the house, I tried to get Dotty to get it but she poked it and then watched it run away :roll:

found this one the other day as big as my hand

1375731_10202152896482749_466456713_n.jpg

Not sure if it's just the picture but that doesn't strike me as any kind of native species. Check your slippers before you put them on.

Mrsmcareyand Summer&Skye both have Tegenaria domestica the domestic house spider but Mrsmccarey has an adult female while Summer&Skye's is an adult male.

That not a spider that's a flipping MONSTER!!!! I would have gone into complete meltdown if I saw that In my house :shock:

Those picture have given me the heebies! Brrrrrrr.

Reminds of when I was looking after Luna when she was so poorly sick. It was midnight - hubby was in bed, and I was sitting on the couch with Luna on my lap and I was syringing critical care into her. I looked down to see a massive spider (just like the one in the first picture) come scuttling around the corner of the sofa and then seemed to disappear.

I didn't panic - I just calmly finished feeding Luna, put her away and stood up and there was that little :censored: spider waving it's front legs at me! So rude :shock:.

I quickly finished my glass of drink, and plonked it over the beast and managed to get it of the window - it was still getting narky at me! I then went calmly into the kitchen and poured myself a giant tot of whisky and said a lot of swear words very loudly!

I don't mind spiders - too many legs for my liking but don't mind them - but NOT in my flat where I have bunnies!

I think I want to cry :(

They're on steroids and are going to take over the world :shock:

This is why I keep my window closed....

Not sure if it's just the picture but that doesn't strike me as any kind of native species. Check your slippers before you put them on.

Mrsmcareyand Summer&Skye both have Tegenaria domestica the domestic house spider but Mrsmccarey has an adult female while Summer&Skye's is an adult male.

Ooooh we could have mated them NOT :shock:

We haven't had any for ages in the house but 'she' :lol: was huge the biggest I have ever had in :lol: if Jessy had been in he would have eaten it :?

I got a video of it in the glass :shock:

I had a very large spider in my bathroom today. It's a shame I didn't get a picture. I have never seen one quite like it before. It was the size of a cardboard toilet paper tube (the end circle bit) The closest thing I can describe it to is a Harvestman of some sort. It had one body section rather than two hence the comparison but it looked different to the usual ones. It's body was very flat and almost like a disc shape. It was black with some rather interesting lighter coloured patterns.

I had a good close look :lol: I love spiders, I find them fascinating. there are some big spiders in the rabbit shed - especially in the shed eaves but I just leave them to it. One with a web on the roof caught a crane fly today and I was watching the spider prepare it for nomming

I would love to keep tarantulas - we had one in college which was used to handling, I loved holding it. We had some in a pet shop where I worked as well, some of them were grumpy and you had to make sure they didn't spray hairs in your face

urgh we had one of those in the house, I tried to get Dotty to get it but she poked it and then watched it run away :roll:

Ooh aren't u clever :D I'm always interested in nature I find it fascinating. I don't like the house spiders but once caught I can't help having a good close look at them! I love watching the garden spiders that sit in their webs all day, there's been one in the window at work for months and have been able to watch it weave its web and wrap flies up, it amazes me how clever they are! How do they weave in perfectly symmetrical lines?! I had a spider in the bath the other night, put it out of the window and the next morning I swear it was the same spider back in the bath :shock:

Sorry don't know why it's quoted Georgeypudding too :roll:

Back