• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Nervous Parent

icklepxy

Alpha Buck
I apologise if someone has posted this before but I'm just curious...

Rabbits seem to be such fragile creatures. Regular health checks and monitoring of bodily functions is such a necessity. But since my buck had his surgery I'm feeling like I've crossed the line from concerned and conscientious rabbit owner into paranoid freak. :shock:

Poor little Hugh is off sulking at me for turning him over, for the fourth time this week, :thumb: for fear that he's got urine scald again (he doesn't. Not even a little, the hair is finally growing back and he's all pink and healthy down there).

Anyone out there got any pro tips for how to stay vigilant without going out of your mind with worry?

No in a nervous wreck when it comes to my bunnies :lol:
Sorry I can't help but wanted to let you know your not alone!

I am a terribly anxious owner, its difficult at times as you love them so much you just want them to be perfect, happy and healthy all the time.. Knowing how vulnerable and fragile bunnies are, its a worry...

I'm calming down a good bit though and a bit more confident noticing things when they are not right, I think thats half the battle...

Fee x

Me too, I worry about my buns all the time! Its funny because in some respects they are the most independant of creatures, but at the same time, they need you to look after them and keep them safe in the world - a bit like toddlers really! And I have a cat with renal issues who I love just as much but i don't worry about half as much! The joys of being a bunny parent :lol:

I'm a nervous wreck sometimes too, always worrying especially since my bun got stasis for the first time!

Well it's good to know I'm not alone in my over protectiveness! I think the worst of it for me is knowing that he must have had his bladder stone for quite awhile for it to get as big as it did and I didn't notice any changes in his behaviour. Doesn't make me feel any better that the Vet thought he was behaving perfectly normal as well, I'm the momma, I should have spotted something.

Oh well :roll: I guess my poor little buns are just going to have to put up with constant scrutiny.

I'm a nervous wreck too, and i do the pellet test too often - rattle the tub, does he show interest? give him a pellet.... begging for more?? yes, he's fine... no.... VET! :lol: - Because he is literally eat eat eat eat eat (he'd eat til he popped!) or ill, so its good in a way cos i know that if he doesn't show interest in the noise of pellet tub he needs a vet :(

tia on the other hand - well, im so proud of her (or scared) cos that girl can sure hold a grudge and sulk - i know i can sulok but if someone was to put a bar of galaxy in front of me not sure i could resist :lol: but tia manages to resist even grapes.... but go check on her in the shed silently and i often find her shoving mountains of hay in her mouth as shes so hungry from refusing to eat anything :roll:

Last edited:
I think the key is learning what is normal for your bun. Don't get me wrong if something is even slightly 'off' I go into total paranoid mode, but the longer I've had buns, I've relaxed a bit, I don't panic 24 hrs a day like I used to. I'm worse with the buns who have known issues though.

We're over protective too - always checking, anything that looks slightly not right gets us worrying, our emergancy vets makes a fortune out of us = we are like this with all our animals. BUT - through being so careful, I was able to get Sheldon to the vet with his sore tummy before it turned any worse...so not going to change my ways any time soon - and as for every going away on holiday again? Nah - not a chance...would not be a holiday, just a stress fest.

Back