• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Julie have some vibes,please?

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
She has an eye infection and inner ear infection. She isn't that interested in food at the moment except for critical which is difficult to feed her because she keeps flipping from side to side and the way her head is. She needs lots of vibes to get over this and to eat.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this, BT. :(
Prayers being lifted that Julie will feel better and eat. I'm guessing it's head tilt? Is she flipping around a lot?
I know for when Mimzy was this ill, he would only eat veggies. Soft things like soaked pellets hand fed on my fingers, but not so much that there is danger of choking. It's good if she'll take the critical care but I understand the difficulty getting them to eat when their balance is wonky. :(
Thinking of you and Julie and sending healing vibes your way. ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) xxxx

Sending huge recovery & healing vibes to the beautiful Julie.
Take care of yourself too BT.

Mimzmum,
Her right eye, same side as the bad tooth is swollen and her eyes keep rotating. They are weepy and red rimed. We originally thought that she had an abscess behind her eye from her tooth root problem but thankfully it isn't that. The vet looked in her mouth with a long scope. No tooth abscess or spurs.
She has an inner ear infection and eye infection.
Her head is somewhat tilted but because she is flat on her side it is hard to really tell. He held her up right as she should be and her head tilts to the one side somewhat and is more noticeable. She normally likes to lie on her right side and hates being on the left but now keeps flipping so that she isn't lying on the right side that has the eye and ear infection. The way her head is lying this way makes it difficult for her to eat. She wants the warm critical care but the way her head is positioned and she doesn't have good balance when she is on that side makes eating hard.
I have to try and hold her body still and maneuver the spoon in her mouth but after a few minutes then she thinks she is tipping and kicks out and food goes everywhere. If I could get her to stay on the bad side long enough to eat it would work best. I hope the eye,ear drops and new antibiotic kicks in fast.

I've only just learnt about Julie, but she has stolen my heart already I hope she makes a quick recovery soon xxxx

Mimzmum,
Her right eye, same side as the bad tooth is swollen and her eyes keep rotating. They are weepy and red rimed. We originally thought that she had an abscess behind her eye from her tooth root problem but thankfully it isn't that. The vet looked in her mouth with a long scope. No tooth abscess or spurs.
She has an inner ear infection and eye infection.
Her head is somewhat tilted but because she is flat on her side it is hard to really tell. He held her up right as she should be and her head tilts to the one side somewhat and is more noticeable. She normally likes to lie on her right side and hates being on the left but now keeps flipping so that she isn't lying on the right side that has the eye and ear infection. The way her head is lying this way makes it difficult for her to eat. She wants the warm critical care but the way her head is positioned and she doesn't have good balance when she is on that side makes eating hard.
I have to try and hold her body still and maneuver the spoon in her mouth but after a few minutes then she thinks she is tipping and kicks out and food goes everywhere. If I could get her to stay on the bad side long enough to eat it would work best. I hope the eye,ear drops and new antibiotic kicks in fast.

Poor Julie :cry:

Has she had a skull xray taken ? That is the only way infection relating to a tooth root can be ruled out. Sadly what goes on 'under the surface' is often the issue :cry: Infection can start in the tooth root and track inwards elsewhere :cry: An Xray may not be possible though as really sounds as though Julie is very poorly :cry: I am so sorry :cry: I am hoping for a miracle for an exceptionally special Rabbit, that the infection wont track inwards any further and that the antibiotics can bring about an improvement.

Poor Julie :cry:

Has she had a skull xray taken ? That is the only way infection relating to a tooth root can be ruled out. Sadly what goes on 'under the surface' is often the issue :cry: Infection can start in the tooth root and track inwards elsewhere :cry: An Xray may not be possible though as really sounds as though Julie is very poorly :cry: I am so sorry :cry: I am hoping for a miracle for an exceptionally special Rabbit, that the infection wont track inwards any further and that the antibiotics can bring about an improvement.

The vet we took Julie to yesterday was a vet in a brand new practice that just opened up near us. Julie doesn't travel well anymore and her vet is far. Her vet is fine with us taking her to another vet and sent her chart and is willing to consult also. We had taken her to a different rabbit vet a few months ago. it was suspose to be a rabbit vet but was older and very old school (his words). He wasn't up to date and said if the old ways work why change.
This vet seems very rabbit savvy but doesn't see anywhere near the volume of rabbits as her regular vet but the fresh ideas was great. He was younger than both other vets but had worked in a practice for 5 years with another vet. This is his first practice on his own. Also he had no other patients yesterday and spent an hour and a half with us and talked to us on the phone before and after.
The first thing that he said was that she needed a skull scan but after examining her decide that putting her under wouldn't work for her. He was amazing with her and a long scope that he was able to look all the way down into her ears and see all her teeth even her molars. Julie totally cooperated with him.

It is amazing but Julie's eye looks much much better. The swelling and red rim is gone and she isn't rotating. She has also stopped flipping and is holding her head up on her own more with as much tilt and is able to eat and has her appetite back.

I did not expect her to improve this much over night!!!!!!!!!

A horrible thing happened at night though.
I put Julie to bed as usual when my OH went to bed. I went to bed at my normal time and she was on the floor when I came to bed. I heard her moving all around on the floor. I ran and flipping on the light. OH was asleep. I woke him with the commotion.
I have no idea how she got on the floor. As most of you Julie followers know she sleeps on a love seat in our master.
The chairs and the mat was still in front of the couch blocking it so she couldn't fall out. Nothing was moved. The only thing that I can figure is that there is a gap between the two chairs because of the curve in the legs of the chairs. I had a mat going across the sofa creating a lip to making it higher than the sofa. The mat blocks off the small space between the chairs.
She must of propelled herself over the mat and slid down onto the floor. The gap is small and head first long ways is the only way that she could fit.
Still it would be a very tight fit as the curve of the chair legs narrow the space near the floor. In fact the 2 chair legs are pressed together at the floor. She would of had to struggle down through to the floor. If that is what happened then it is amazing that she didn't get her feet hung up or stuck.
If she rolled and fell off the love seat she would of woke OH with a thud plus surely would of broken something. She seemed fine. I checked her all over.
PLUS....the rest of the couch still was blocked by the chairs making it impossible for her to fall over the mat and fall on to the floor.
Where I found her makes me also believe that me slid down the gap onto the floor like a steep tight tunnel.
It seems like she would have had to purposely done this as it doesn't seem likely that this would happen by accident.
I didn't sleep well all night of course worrying.
We fixed the mat so it is now supported by 3 chairs and is raised up as high as a crib railing.

Back