• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D 5/10. Mr Bennett recovering much better than his previous dentals.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
:( I am sure its dental and yet another GA always worries me. It will be Mr B's 6th dental this year.

He has been under the built in wardrobes all day, although nibbled on a carrot. I phoned the vets at about 5.30 but as he was still under the wardrobe made an appointment for 8.30 am tomorrow. 10 minutes later he came out.

He did eat 4 pellets but no more. Gave him zantac and metacam and he had a crunchie but now back under the wardrobes. I should have locked him up in the dog crate, now have to hope he comes back out from under the wardrobe so I can get him to the vets in the morning.

I knew a dental was brewing and should have done something earlier but I always hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Ah bless him under the wardrobe, how cute. Hope he comes out for you.

Don't blame yourself, we're always hopeful things are going to turn around and you have the meds to keep him painfree.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Have left James to try and break down a back wardrobe panel to get to Mr B. I tried a broom handle, being very careful, but he won't come out and chewed it frantically.

Thanks Jane. James managed to grab him and put him in the dog crate. Mr B isn't used to being locked up so you can imagine the noise all night. Thumping, rattling the bars and trashing it. :shock: Been awake since 5 ish.

Can't believe he is eating again, although his behaviour in the last few days is very typical of a dental brewing so going to the vets anyway. I am hoping if caught early his tongue will be alright and it won't be a week of barely eating, which makes me wonder if this is one of the reasons his teeth grow back so fast.

James will drop me off early so I will do my usual sitting on the front step for half an open before anyone has arrived.

Oh no. I'm so sad to hear he needs another dental already especially because his recovery is always so long and afterwards.:( I hope all goes well today.

Oh dear :( Poor Mr. B and James too. I really hope it's not another dental needed. :(
Does he not eat hay? Or does he just have really persistent teeth? :( Poor guy.
Sending megavibes for the best possible outcome for Mr. Bennett...and (((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))) for you. I hope you'll be able to get some rest later. xxxx

Thanks everyone. :love:

Luckily I was seen really early as I arrived at 8 am, half an hour before it opens but Mr B was seen at about 8.10 am. He was a good a gold, never flinches when his mouth is examined. No spurs could be seen this time but his teeth at the back were long and uneven. The vet said he seems he is very mouth sensitive because as soon as anything goes wrong he starts to eat less and less. Mind you he weighs a whooping 2.45 kilos, which is big considering he is part Nethie.

Really hoping as we caught it early recovery will be quick, so as soon as he starts eating he can grind down those teeth.

Ali that is what I dread, the long recovery which takes about a week. Since his last dental his teeth had grown back high after two weeks.

Mimzmum Mr B is a good hay eater and he eats the usual cheap bale hay as well as expensive orchard grass hay, although he prefers the cheap hay. I had really hoped the new hay would keep his teeth ground down but its getting him to eat the first week after a dental which has always been a problem.

Oh poor Mr B and his pesky teeth :( Hope the dental helps and he recovers quickly this time. Sending lots of vibes xx

Mr B did have spurs and has a bruised tongue again. :( This won't help his recovery.

I was horrified to be told they found a few fleas. I did talk about the new bald patch and flaky white skin and the vet did ask if he was over grooming at the back and I said yes. She said she was going to get it tested as he has had so many treatments for mites that she was thinking it could be something else.

I can't understand it, we don't have carpet and I am very clean, I drive poor James mad with my cleaning. Yesterday and today I mopped and vacuumed the bedrooms, hallway and bathroom, the only rooms Mr B has access to. I also did the living room and kitchen. The only piece of carpet we have is under our bed and I pull it out and thoroughly vacuum it all the time, the whole place is laminated.

No other animals have ever been in here and the chinchillas cannot get fleas, so its not from them. It has to been either under those built ins or was in the hay, but my outdoor buns are not over grooming and I never see them scratching themselves. :(

fleas can be very difficult to get rid of. poor mr b, i'm glad his dental went ok. sorry about the fleas.

fleas can be very difficult to get rid of. poor mr b, i'm glad his dental went ok. sorry about the fleas.

I have never seen one here and none of us has been bitten. The vets are sending James home with spray for the house. We used to occasionally get them at the old property but that was from our cat who was regularly treated. We did have one bad summer and we had to treat the whole flat.

Back