• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trying to convince parents for a Rabbit

Ilovepets

New Kit
Hi there everybody i would like some tips on how to convince my mum for a rabbit please the reason she says no is because she says they pee everywhere and also there are foxes round where i live plz help?

p.s i already have a hamster

Maybe if you do lots of research, write a list of what you would need and how much it would cost she'd realise you were being responsible and serious about it. How old are you?

Hey there :wave:

Well there is lots to consider before you get a rabbit and your Mum is right to a degree. My three boy bunnies sprayed their hutch with wee for quite a while when they were young, but perhaps you can get around this by adopting a litter trained rescue rabbit? My boys use a tray now and are very neat apart from the odd stray poops. :D

If there are foxes in the area then you would have to make sure you have a very secure home for bunny.

If you've done your research (i hope you have :D )then why don't you show your Mum and Dad all that you know? If you impress them with your knowledge of how to care for bunnies then perhaps they will think about it?

It's important not to pressure your parents though. Take it slow and let them think about it. If they don't let you have a rescue bunny now then perhaps further in the future they will consider it again.

Good luck!:thumb:

Rabbits are not easy or cheap animals to keep.

They need a large hutch (or a shed/playhouse) with a large run attached.

They need to be neutered, vaccinated (with annual boosters) and are best insured unless you have a large pot of money to pay for vet treatment.

You would also have to pay boarding fees when you go on holiday.

Apart from that, they need high quality hay and pellets.

They are also better kept as pairs - ie a neutered male with a spayed female.

How old are you?

Can you convince your parents that you have done all your research and are willing to take absolute responsibility for their care (ie cleaning their hutch/run regularly, even when the weather is bad)?

Rabbits are an exotic and difficult species to look after. You would need to do a lot of research and preparation before adopting a rabbit. You may even need to build accommodation from scratch. Foxes are utterly lethal and cruel with rabbits so I think your mum raises a valid point. It could be very traumatic if not done right. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like however if you want to more.

thanks for advice/telling me everyone. I'm not exactly allowed to tell my age but I am in the teen age group.

I will try doing a powerpoint on rabbits as I've already done most of my reaserch

I would advise saving up enough money to buy a hutch/run combo, enough to adopt a pair from your local rescue (it is much cheaper to pay an adoption fee than to buy 2 cheap rabbits then have to neuter and vaccinate them) and also save a years worth of insurance plus the price of next years vaccine for the pair.
This may take a while as will be a few hundred pounds but I always think you can generally tell people's priorities by what they spend their money on and should convince your parents that you are serious.
Good luck xx

I second the above. When I got my first pet that was really owned by me, back when I was 14 (gosh it seems a while ago lol) saving up the money and showing that I had done the research and was willing to pay myself, and do all of the work for the animal myself really helped me to convince my parents.

I was old enough to work and lucky enough to have family members I could work for, I used most of the money to save for my pet. If you are over 14 then perhaps look for a small weekend job or a paper round. Failing that you could offer to do things for family members (such as dog sitting, gardening, window cleaning etc) in return for a small charge. You would then be able to save the money up towards accommodation, adoption fees and insurance (although this may have to be take out in your parents names, with you giving them the money monthly) Also show your parents that you are concentrating on your education, and be as well behaved as possible.

Accommodation can be expensive, but you may be lucky enough to find a cheap shed, and you could pay towards the cost of fuel to have it delivered.

Maybe volunteer at a local rescue that re homes rabbits (this may depend on age, some ask children under a certain age - usually 14 or 16 to be accompanied by an adult when volunteering for safety reasons) That way you show that you are dedicated and that you fully understand how much hard work goes into keeping animals healthy and well cared for, with rabbits it is important that you are committed to looking after them for possibly ten years or even more as they do live that long.

The power point is a good idea, maybe include some information and quote it from well known welfare sites.

Most importantly do not bring it up around your parents to much if they do not agree yet. If they say no and give reasons just say ok, I understand your reasons and that .... such and such ..... You can then do some more research and save up more money and ask them again in the future..

Im affraid I cant tell you what to say to convince your mum to get them, its her choice. If you show how serious you are though and save up for equipment they would need and there upkeep in the meantime she might come round to the idea!

Has she ever kept rabbits herself? She might be worried that she would be left to look after them herself!

Thanks everyone for advice :)

I already help out at an animal place every other Saturday and when I next go there I will pay even even more attention to the rabbits they have there (aswell as caring for the other animals)

P.S how long can rabbits live up to?

Rabbits can live to be around 12 years old with good care :thumb: I believe some members on here have rabbits which are even older! An average is normally 8 - 10 years though, so they have a similar life expectancy to some dog breeds

Rabbits can live to be around 12 years old with good care :thumb: I believe some members on here have rabbits which are even older! An average is normally 8 - 10 years though, so they have a similar life expectancy to some dog breeds

I was wondering about life expectancy and Thanks for telling me :)

Also you will need pet insurance as I've had Doughnut 2 years and she is now insured but before I'd insured her she's had trouble with her throat and I've ended up paying about £2,000 in vet fees.

Rabbits aren't too expensive if they are well but you still need to get them vaccinated every year.

Sorry I don't mean to put you off but you don't want to get a bunny and then your parents tell you they can't afford to keep him.

Also are you planning on having him indoors? If not I would recommend you get two for outside, as rabbits love company.

Hello. :wave:

One thing you have to consider is that you need to get your bunny vaccinated every year and neutered, also a bunny needs a friend and would be very lonely and depressed on their own, as they are social animals used to living in groups.

A bunny could end up being very expensive needing regular vet treatment, especially for their teeth. We have to pay nearly £500 for teeth problems a year, even though we have insurance.

Then you have to consider regular cleaning, up to twice a day in summer and water changed every day as well as feeding several times a day.

Bunnies are very cute but need a lot of care.

seriously, i wouldn't. and i say that as the owner of four delightful rabbits.

what you need is a long-haired syrian hamster.

I would agree with your mother.
Once a.fox knows a rabbit is there he will come again and again and again until he has killed the rabbit.
A fox will stop at nothing and they are very intelligent and can climb very high walls.

I know someone who's rabbit was attacked by a fox in her shed while she was in the shed with her back to the shed door.
Sadly the rabbit died from shock.

Hi,

I dont have much to add to what has already been said, which is all very sound, excellent advice. You really need a pair of rabbits, not one, as already stated.

Also, you say you are a teenager, obviously I dont know your long term plans, but what would happen to rabbit(s) if/when you go to university? You need to think it all out carefully, and then if you still want to get a rabbit, present your "case" carefully to your mum.

Back