• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are we prepared enough?

dominoid

Warren Scout
Our buns arrive here on the 14th and we haven't kept buns before so I'm a little paranoid whether we have missed anything. I've been researching and planning for weeks but I want to double check as you guys are always so knowledgable and helpful!

Here's what I've bought/done so far:
*found a rabbit savvy vet and priced up vaccines, neuters, check ups and chips
* pet insurance booked
* bought a hutch and perma-attached run, floored both with foam matting and covered run top with tarpaulin to keep the rain out.
* bought the pellets they already eat and a big bag of different types of hay as well as some hay feeders an some crunchies
*bought a selection of tunnels, chew toys and play things
* bought two litter trays and some paper based litter
* bought vetbed for their sleeping areas
* rabbit proofed the garden so they can free roam when we are here for exercise.
* bought grooming brushes
* bought water and food bowls and some water bottles
* bought hutch disinfectant and a steam cleaner to do the flooring with
* bought a pet carrier to bring them home in and take them to the vets

Pretty sure we've covered everything but can anybody think of anything I've overlooked? I worry too much I realise but I'm a perfectionist so I have to triple check everything.

WOW:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Am sure there will be some suggestions - but looks great to me - lucky buns! And so good you've done so much homework...very excited for you! Your lives are about to change forever - in a very good way:thumb:

nail clippers? That depends on whether you want to clip them yourself as you can have it done fairly cheap at the vets :)
Storage for the hay and pellets, as well as storage for all the toys that you will suddenly find have taken over the house :lol:

Wow, You really have this covered. Wish I'd done that much work before I got my first rabbit! (I was 10, so only partially to blame).

Only thing I might suggest is to plant some nice herby plants (mint, parsley) for cheap rabbit snackage :thumb:but only because you seem to have run out of other things to do to prepare! Congrats on the future new additions to your household!

We were in your situation back in July and we weren't as prepared as you are, although I did do a lot of research for a couple of months before we decided to have our two bunnies.

I think you're pretty much sorted but as you go along, you'll find things you'll need or you'll find things around the house which would work better than what you've got or bought.

Good luck with them...things will never be the same again!

Remember if you get rescue rabbits they will already be neutered/spayed, vaccinated and bonding can be done too all for waaaaay less than it will cost if you get breeder bunnies. My first two were pet shop buns and they cost sooooo much more than the rescue ones and fell out once neutered!!!

You do seem well prepared. What size is your hutch/run combo?

Remember if you get rescue rabbits they will already be neutered/spayed, vaccinated and bonding can be done too all for waaaaay less than it will cost if you get breeder bunnies. My first two were pet shop buns and they cost sooooo much more than the rescue ones and fell out once neutered!!!

This :thumb:

Far too orginised for me. I learned after i came on here and now have a lot more for my rabbit.

Maybe a first aid/back illness kit. I cant remember the name of the tread. Maybe someone with a better mem than me can help.

Ours are an accidental litter from a friend of a friend (mum and dad decided they couldn't wait to be back together and broke their way through the separator in their home!)

The hutch is 6x2 and the run is the 3ft tall 6.5x8 from Welfare hutches.

Lots of great suggestions in here. Thanks everyone :)

Ours are an accidental litter from a friend of a friend (mum and dad decided they couldn't wait to be back together and broke their way through the separator in their home!)

The hutch is 6x2 and the run is the 3ft tall 6.5x8 from Welfare hutches.

Lots of great suggestions in here. Thanks everyone :)

Sounds like a great set up. I really like the look of the Welfare hutches stuff. Dont forget to post pics of you new rabbits once you get them :wave:

Sounds like you are very well prepared. Well done, you really put me and many others to shame!

I would say prepare now by enjoying your last weekend of not having to clean out hutches, having a tidy house and garden and having time to do other things :lol:

I would recommend you do a bit of research on foraging for bunny safe foods, I've had buns for the last 3 years and only recently started doing this but it gives your buns such a better variety of foods to eat, and it's free! It's my buns favourite time of day - 2nd breakfast! And i must admit ive become a bit obsessed with it!
There's a sticky on here with photos of rabbit safe things, and once you start looking for them they are easy to find, just got to remember not to pick from anywhere too near traffic, or dog walking routes etc.
I hope you enjoy being a bunny parent :D

Back