• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Relocation woes

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could help us ...

We are hoping to relocate from Suffolk to Sussex. We have been offered rent-free accommodation for a short period to help us get the money for a deposit together but I am concerned that the rabbits would lack space. Essentially, the property is a cottage which has a basement where there is a bathroom and utility room, and a small courtyard garden. On the ground floor, there is a kitchen and small lounge and on the first floor, there is a large living space with a converted mezzanine. There are four of us, my husband and I and our two children (my son who is 8 and my daughter who is 4). My son has socio-communication disorder which is a bit like ASD and so it is going to be a struggle anyway for the poor lad. The other two members of the family are the bunnies, D'Argo and Falon who are a continental giant (who is extremely naughty and destroys everything!) and a very large French lop.

Given that the owner who is a friend of my Dad's and is doing us a massive favour, is not an animal person, I can't keep my beautiful rabbits indoors - they are wonderful but very naughty and I don't dare damage the cottage. However, the garden is very small and I can't put up anything like a shed or outbuilding as we would only be there for a few months. I can't simply put them in a hutch with a run attached - they are far too big. They live in a brick built shed at the moment but I clearly can't take that with me.

So, I am wondering about potentially fostering them for a few months until we get a more permanent home where I can install suitable rabbit accommodation. It would need to be nearby and the fosterers would need to let us visit as the children and I love and dote on our rabbits who are very much a part of the family. I would, of course, pay all food and living costs, plus vets bills and a fostering rate to be negotiated and in return, we would want to visit once a week to see our little ones.

I don't really have any experience of this kind of thing and I never thought it would be an issue for us. However, I can't see how else it would work. My Dad who we are moving to be near has a two floor maisonette but no garden so he can't help and my Mum who is nearby has two dogs who are lovely but a danger to the rabbits as they do chase rabbits in the wild plus my step-dad is very ill and they really can't have the bunnies there as well needing all the care and attention that rabbits need.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Do you think there is someone out there that would foster but would allow us to visit regularly? It is so important not only for me as their bunny mummy but for the kids as they will be missing their friends and life up here and will need as much continuity as possible.

I would welcome any ideas - just to get an idea of the bunny situation, they are both about 6kg and are used to having the garden free range during the daylight hours (which they couldn't have in Lewes as it is not as safe ... I think there are foxes about whereas here, we have very high fences and no fox sightings in the area (although I appreciate that I may still be viewed as reckless by some). When it is dark, they have the shed, which is about 6ft x 7ft maybe, with their old hutch inside. They are therefore used to lots of space.

I feel absolutely swamped with the whole idea of sorting the children, the bunnies, finding me and my husband new jobs etc. I also have aspergers and tend to go to pieces when we move anyway, even though I think it is best thing for us to move (my Dad has just finished radiotherapy and is suffering badly with osteoporosis and my step-dad has a really bad lung condition plus my sister is kind of having a breakdown so I think I am needed).

Help please? Thanks in advance especially if you read all this without falling asleep!!

Aww good luck with it all!

As you would like a local fosterer, maybe a good idea to say which part of Sussex you will be moving to :D

Thanks Lily.

Lewes - but anywhere within about 15 miles would be good.

I don't really want to foster them out though - only if there is no alternative.

Unfortunately I'm too far away and not in a position to help, but just a quick bump for you and good luck! Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get together a deposit, hopefully someone will be able to help with your bunnies.

Not sure if I read, but did you put a possible time frame on there? That might help people figure out if they can help :wave:

Thanks!

Well timescale, it depends on hubby getting a job down there ... Dad wants us tgere asap but A must have a job.

Back