• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely bunny after losing her friend

Jokluz

Young Bun
I havnt posted here for a long time but we buried little snowball at the weekend and feel a bit lost :( Worried about Fudge as she has never been alone and Snowball was the boss, she would always be the first to check anything out to make sure it was safe before Fudge followed. Will she be ok on her own? She seems to be eating and drinking fine and she had time with Snowball after she passed, was so sad to see her cuddled next to her :cry:

I'm really sorry for your loss :(

3 weeks ago I lost my boy, he was paired up with a quite shy girl who sounds like your Fudge (only wanting to go ahead once the more confident bunny had checked things out)
I also wondered if she was going to be ok on her own. The first few days she was fine, then I noticed she was looking really depressed and wasn't eating as well as she used to.
Over the weekend she was at the vets having gone into stasis, I totally believe this was due to her being lonely and depressed so she stopped eating :(

I think rabbits should always (where possible) have a friend, especially if they were bonded and close to another rabbit before.

So sorry for your loss :(

Bunnies generally are better with a friend but it depends on your circumstances - how old Fudge is (ie if you don't want bunnies in the future having pairs all the time can mean you are always pairing them up again), if you can you afford another one, how much time does Fudge have on her own.

I've also read that bunnies should have a bit of time to grieve before introducing another but I've never been in these circumstances, how long is enough probably depends on the individual rabbit.

I was in your situation too a couple of months ago. Best thing is to just keep a close eye on her and see how she goes, try to spend a bit more time with her, and hard as it will be, try not to be upset when your with her as she may pick up on your emotions.
My bun carried on eating and drinking etc, but seemed to stay in the hutch more. I think I projected my emotions onto him though, and because I was really sad I imagined he felt the same, and that upset me more. But someone on here gave me some advice which I think may be true, bunnies may not feel sad in the way we do, but they may just be quieter and less active as they don't have the stimulation of another bunny. I'm sure they do miss the company of their partner bun but maybe don't feel sad about it, it's just different for them. I really hoped that was true because it broke my heart to think of my bunny being sad, as I'm sure it does with you and Fudge.
I've also read on here bout shy buns coming into their own once the dominant partner has passed.
All buns are different, and I think you just have to follow your gut feeling.
We got a new partner after a week, he groomed and happy flopped next to her at the rescue so he was read for more bunny company, perhaps long before I was really.
Bigs hugs x

Thanks, she is just over 2. I wouldnt know where to start with finding her a friend, so worried about them fighting as I wouldnt have the space for 2 setups, She is currently in a shed with an attached run. Going to keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating and drinking.

Most rescues these days will do the bonding for you so you don't have to worry about that if you do decide to get another bun.
If you look at the Rabbits In Need section on here you may find a bunny that you'd like to rehome :)

Also, most bunny rescues will let you take your bun in to meet potential new friends in a neutral space, that way they can more or less choose their own friend and therefore the bonding should have a greater chance of success. It's quite rare I think for a bond not to work, some just take longer than others.
There is also a mountain of advice and help on here about bonding so we'll be with you every step of the way:wave:

Back