• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inner Ear Infection / Facial Paralysis

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Scarlet is 5 year old netherland dwarf and she has developed an severe inner ear infection with mild head tilt and facial paralysis.

She is on lots of meds but I am very worried as having search the internet it seems to be that the facial paralysis is permanent and that inner ear infections have a poor survival rate.

Could anyone tell me if this is true?

thank you
x

Hi,

Scarlet is 5 year old netherland dwarf and she has developed an severe inner ear infection with mild head tilt and facial paralysis.

She is on lots of meds but I am very worried as having search the internet it seems to be that the facial paralysis is permanent and that inner ear infections have a poor survival rate.

Could anyone tell me if this is true?

thank you
x

Not in my experience, or that of friends buns either, as long as the vet prescribes appropriate drugs immediately (not baytril).

Thank you so much!

She is on a penicillin daily injection anti-biotic. Also metacam and imiprid.

Last edited:
Each case will be unique and some Rabbits can be left with permanent nerve damage causing a facial palsy. Some cases of head tilt can be permanent too. BUT Rabbits can adapt and live a good quality life, albeit with a disability.

Treatment is often protracted, months rather than weeks. There are also surgical options, but personally I would need a lot of convincing before agreeing to go down the surgical route. The procedures are painful and they do not carry any guarantee of success.

But others are of a different opinion and may well opt for surgery for their Rabbit.

I hope your Bun responds well to treatment xx

Thank you.

I know it could either way I just needed some hope that she can get better.

She is not eating and it looks like its the facial issues stopping her. She is not happy been syringe fed so really do hope there is some improvement in this aspect soon.

Thanks again.

xx

I hope these give you some hope. Mischa got severely ill just after he turned one, he had an ear infection which caused nystagmus (eye flicking), bad head tilt and bad balance; at his worst he couldn't stand upright, I ended up carrying and holding him a lot as that way he was comfortable. He lived for a further five years after his recovery with no lasting head tilt at all.

Mischa - after some improvement

Mischa - all better

He had another ear infection later on in life which caused him to have a wonky face, this didn't affect him apart from eating a little unevenly and he ended up needing a dental to burr down some spurs which had occurred due to that.

I am overly anxious when it comes to abscesses but personally I would request an xray be done (if it hasn't already) to determine the location and extent of the infection and to check that there are no abscesses further complicating the problem. What antibiotics has the vet prescribed?

When I adopted Hazel five years ago she had a wonkey face but she was very well and I thought nothing more of it. I just thought she was just like that.
But a couple of years later puss started to come out of her ear hole, A vet gave me drops to put in but these did nothing.
At the time I was making regular visits to FHB with one of my other bunnies that needed regular treatment so i took Hazel with me.
I was told Hazel had an inner ear absess but to try and get rid if it would be a big op and may involve removing some of the bulla bone. It was decided to make a hole in the side of her head stright into the ear canal to allow the puss to drain more easily.
Hazel survived comfortably for three more years like this, untill she was recently pts because of cancer.
Hazel is presently in storage at FHB, awaiting an autopsy as Frances wanted to investigate the reult of hazels absess.
I dont know if this is of any help to you but this was my experience.

Thank you so much for your replies. It really does help to know that other bunnies have come out the other side with this.

Scarlet is struggling as she can't eat on her own and will not take critical care. We are trying baby food as an alternative to see if that helps any.

I will speak to the vet at our next visit (tomorrow) regarding an x-ray.

She is on streptocare (sp?) daily injectionns.

Micha is gorgeous!

Back